Professors in English Literature
University of Glasgow - School of Critical Studies
|Placed on:||17th February 2017|
|Closes:||19th March 2017|
As part of a major investment, the University of Glasgow seeks two Professors in English Literature.
We welcome applications from candidates with any specialism in the discipline, although we are particularly interested in applicants with expertise in one or more of the following strategic research themes (we are especially keen to make one of the appointments in the first of these fields):
- Colonial and/or postcolonial literature
- Victorian literature
- Modern and contemporary literature
To provide academic leadership by conducting internationally-leading research, delivering research-led education, and contributing to School administration as required by the Head of School. The post-holder will lead a research agenda in English Literature, with the specific remit of stimulating collaborative research and external grant applications involving colleagues both within and outside the School.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Lead and engage in research and publication that enhances the quality of the School’s international research profile, including conducting personal research of the highest quality and maintaining a consistently high level output of publications and presentations of world-class quality.
2. Sustain internationally leading high quality research activity, seeking and securing funding for a portfolio of research projects through grant applications to external funding bodies, e.g. Research Councils.
3. Encourage research students of high calibre to undertake doctoral research and supervise them to completion.
4. Supervise research projects undertaken by research staff and postgraduate students and ensure the effective development of the staff and students.
5. Deliver a range of teaching and assessment activity at postgraduate level within the School and subject area.
6. Take a leading role in the design and delivery of postgraduate programmes and courses, including opportunities leading from new research.
7. Develop links with national and international organisations with a view to enhancing research and teaching in the School and in the subject area.
8. Act in a senior role within the School and/or subject area in administrative and other activities as directed by the Head of School.
9. To contribute to the enhancement of the University’s international profile in line with the University’s Strategic Plan - Inspiring People – Changing the World.
Although we welcome applications from candidates with any specialism in the discipline, we are particularly interested in applicants with expertise in one or more of the following strategic research themes: colonial and/or postcolonial literature, Victorian literature, modern and contemporary literature.
Vacancy reference: 016906, closing date: 19 March 2017.
Informal enquires to Professor Nigel Leask (Regius Chair of English Language and Literature) or Professor Jeremy Smith (Head of School)
Share this job
Type / Role: