Research Assistant in the area of "Local Institutions in/for Development"
£2,744.91 to £4,645.24 converted salary* per month
|Placed on:||30th March 2017|
|Closes:||23rd April 2017|
The Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB) is a multidisciplinary Institute involved in the triple function of academic teaching, scientific research and service to the community in the area of economic, political and social aspects of development policy and management. More information on the Institute and its activities can be found on the website www.uantwerpen.be/iob.
The Institute is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy for an academic assistant in the area of “Local Institutions in/for Development”
- Your research and societal service delivery is situated in the field of development processes, actors and policies. Your research focus matches the research line "Local Institutions in Development” which applies actor-oriented analysis with an emphasis on poverty.
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in this domain and you compete to obtaining externally funded research grants.
- You focus on research with special attention to the Great Lakes Region in Africa;
- You assist in teaching assignments within the framework of the Master programs of IOB, including qualitative and participative and/or quantitative research methods.
- Your research has a multidisciplinary character, includes longer term local fieldwork and uses a combination of quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Your work includes activities of societal outreach.
- You actively support the cooperation of IOB with its partner institutes in the South.
You function well in groups and you are willing to contribute to the service delivery to IOB, to the University of Antwerp and the wider society.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a Master degree in development studies or in related social science disciplines.
- Your work is preferably interdisciplinary in nature and preferably engages with a mixture of methodological approaches.
- You obtained outstanding academic results.
- You preferably have experience with development processes in the South.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirement stipulated in the university’s policy (http://www.ua.ac.be/research).
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative, social and cooperative.
- You are fluent in English and French. Knowledge of other relevant languages is a plus.
- a full-time position as a research assistant for a period of two years, renewable twice for the same period after positive evaluation;
- the date of appointment will be 1 September 2017;
- a gross monthly salary ranging from € 3.208,55 - € 5.429,85
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, 23th April 2017
- The application must be completed with a proposal for PhD (appr. 1000 words) and an argument (appr. 500 words) how this proposal can strengthen the profile of the research line and of the IOB profile in general. This document must be submitted in English;
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact prof. dr. Kristof Titeca (Tel. +32 (0)3 265 56 89).
Share this job
Type / Role: