Associate Professor in Mechanical Engineering
The University of Wollongong in Dubai (UOWD) is one of the UAE's oldest and most prestigious universities. Established in 1993 by the University of Wollongong in Australia - currently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world – UOW in Dubai represents a pioneering Australian initiative in the Gulf region.
UOWD is seeking a PhD qualified and experienced academic in the area of Mechanical Engineering. The post is offered at an Associate Professor Grade. The aim of the post is to lead the academic, scholarly, and professional activities of the Mechanical Engineering Program at the Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences. The post-holder will also be expected to make a strong contribution to the Faculty’s research output to the highest standards.
This is a fulltime position that requires the holder to lead the new UOWD BEng Mechanical Engineering programme, including curricula development, accreditations, programme leadership skills, student support skills, and laboratory practical skills.
The applicant is expected to have teaching experience at a recognised higher education institution, along with a record of scholarly research and high quality publications in the relevant field. Industry experience or evidence of industry-academic collaborations would also be beneficial.
Academic and industrial experience coupled with research interests in any of the following areas are encouraged to apply:
- Fluid Mechanics
- Thermofluid/Heat Transfer
- Engineering Dynamics & Control
- Mechanical Design
- Solid Mechanics
Main Duties & Responsibilities of the Mechanical Engineering Programme Leader:
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing academic leadership and to oversee the quality of the learning opportunities offered to students. The programme leader will contribute to the achievement of the University and faculty objectives and the implementation of specific programme targets, particularly in respect to programme development, quality, recruitment and retention. It is expected that the Programme Leader will be responsible for the general conduct and organisation of the programme, for its academic work and for the effective use of all resources allocated to it.
The main duties & responsibilities of the post-holder are summarized as follows:
- Lead and manage the strategic development of the programme including reviewing and updating marketing materials and assisting with programme promotion, enrolment and induction.
- Liaise with the Dean and Associate Deans in allocating teaching for the programme.
- Provide academic advice, support and pastoral care to students throughout their study.
- Liaise with discipline leaders and ensure the coherence and currency of subjects proposed by discipline leaders are implemented.
- Develop and manage links with external organisations relevant to the programme such as professional accreditation bodies.
- Annually review the programme and report on performance, achievement and proposed enhancement.
- Liaise with the subject coordinators and the technicians to ensure all Civil engineering laboratories are established and functional.
- Undertake lecturing duties as required by the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences and the Associate Dean (Education), including the preparation and delivery of lecture material to the standard expected of a professional academic; also the preparation and delivery of appropriate learning support material, e.g. tutorial and laboratory exercises, and any other teaching-related activity at any level, and the support of students on such courses(s). It should be noted that this may include the delivery of teaching at evenings and weekends as required to support the Faculty’s academic programmes.
- The post-holder will also be expected to supervise final year design projects, and MSc and PhD projects/thesis. He/She will be expected to fully engage in scholarly and research activities within the thriving faculty teams to produce high-impact research and deliver research-informed undergraduate and Master’s level teaching. The applicant is expected to have an experience of involvement in collaborative research with external organisations, and have a strong track record for dissemination of knowledge through recent publications in high impact international journals and international conferences.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
- BEng in Mechanical Engineering
- Evidence of programme/course leadership
- Experience in providing leadership in accreditation and subject development.
- Designing and developing Mechanical Engineering Subjects and Labs
- Project supervision at undergraduate and/or postgraduate level.
- Evidence of research expertise in Mechanical Engineering or a related
- Evidence of dissemination of knowledge through recent publications in international journals and international conferences.
- Involvement in collaborative research with external organisations including industrial partners.
- Significant knowledge and understanding of the subject area
- Significant experience in Civil engineering laboratory development
- Good oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to contribute to the Faculty’s development.
- Ability to manage time and to work to strict and often conflicting deadlines.
- Willingness to engage in leadership and administrative functions.
- Membership of an appropriate professional Institution.
- Teaching relevant subjects in HE at undergraduate and/or postgraduate level.
- Working in inter-disciplinary, collaborative research environments.
- Experience of writing grant proposals and/or success in gaining external research funding (grant or industrial sponsor)
- PhD Supervision
- Experience of Program administration and leadership
- Invited talks and keynotes
- Ability to offer innovative teaching methods particularly through the use of ICT.
Compensation & Benefits:
The successful candidate will enjoy interaction with a professional dynamic team of highly respected educators from 35 different countries and exposure to students from over 120 nationalities.
The University offers an expatriate package which is an attractive tax free salary. The expatriate package includes six weeks of paid leave per year, private medical insurance for employee and eligible dependents, life and disability insurance and education allowance for dependents. The University is located in Knowledge Village, Dubai and has excellent teaching, learning and research facilities as well as a Library that meets international standards.
Interested applicants must apply before the closing date by visiting our employment website at http://employment.uowdubai.ac.ae. A review of applications will begin after the closing date and will continue until the position(s) are filled.
Closing Date: 30th September 2017 or until the positions are filled.