Business Development Director (Full Time)
Purpose of the Job
The Business Development Director will manage the growth of existing business and the generation of new business relationships and products in order to fulfill and develop the vision of St John’s as it continues to facilitate Christian education and training in innovative ways.
Reports to: The Principal
Heading the college’s Business Development function, liaising with the Principal, Colleagues and Trustees to:
- Engage with key stakeholders to develop existing business, identify relevant untapped market needs, and establish new business partnerships in and beyond the college.
- Provide market feedback to colleagues and trustees on business opportunities that will add value to and create new profit centres for the college.
- Identify and implement new product development ideas.
- Collaborate with and support colleagues in the development and delivery of new educational programmes, courses, events and projects.
- Work with colleagues responsible for promoting and delivering new academic programmes and pathways, and other profit centres – e.g. training, conferencing
- Create a clear decision-making process for instigating new partnership or product development, thus ensuring the financial feasibility of each such partnership or product, and contributing to the financial flourishing of the college as a whole.
- Manage relationships with new partners through development to delivery and ongoing review.
- Lead work on funding applications to support new products and partners.
- To increase profits from existing distance and networked learning programmes by 25% in the first full academic year in post to 30/6/19, and by 25% year-on-year for the next three years of the college’s Strategic Business Plan to summer 2022.
- To increase the college’s new client/partner count by 50% the first full academic year to 30/6/19, and by 30% year-on-year for the next three years of the college’s Strategic Business Plan to summer 2022. From those new clients/partners to generate £50k clear profit by 30/6/19, and to increase profit from that base-line thereafter.
- To engage with and develop Alumni support through the College Association, increasing regular donations by 35% in the first full academic year in post to 30/6/19, and by 25% year-on-year in the next three years of the college’s Strategic Business Plan to summer 2022. Also, to increase membership of the Association by 25% by 30/6/19, and to continue to grow its membership thereafter.
- To create a decision-making matrix for authorising development work, and manage the process with other key stakeholders.
- Experience of working in a sales and customer-focussed environment
- Excellent influencing, networking & negotiating skills
- Excellent communication skills – written and presentational
- High-quality project management skills
- Understanding of Theological Education and wider related markets
- Good ability to work in collaboration with others
- High level of interpersonal skill with the ability to listen to market and client needs and translate them into financially profitable products
- Self-motivated, with ability to manage time and priorities
- Degree-level education or equivalent
- Experience of operating in a senior level role
- Agile development methodology
To commence on or before 2nd April 2018
3-month probation period, after which the role will be reviewed and revised as necessary
Fixed term contract to 30/6/19, with potential to renew
Remuneration will be £39k pa
Some flexibility on office hours and home-working is negotiable within the full-time scope of the post