By 2023 we will be an independent university internationally recognised as a centre of excellence for social inclusion and change’.
GSM London is genuinely inclusive, helping students to realise their aspirations whatever their situation. We encourage them to have bold dreams, and we focus on employability from day one. We currently have around 7,000 students studying for a range of business-related degrees. Our diverse student body comes from local communities in Greenwich and Greenford, and we have also attracted a strong following from many overseas markets such as the Gulf States, Nigeria, and the Far East as well as Europe.
The College differentiates itself from other providers in higher education by embracing the opportunities of diversity and inclusion. About 80%of our students live within 10 miles of their campus, 90% are Black and Minority Ethnic (BAME), 80% are mature and 16.6% are drawn from POLAR 1 and 2 postcodes (the largest percentage of any higher education institution in London). To meet the educational needs of this unusual, dynamic and entrepreneurial student base, we are pioneering strengths-based learning in the UK in which we build on the life and work experiences of our students.
Achieving our mission
We are undergoing an extensive programme of continuous improvement based on insight from our students and staff that aims to enhance their experience at the College. Over the past year this has included:
- Doubling the size of our Library and Learning Resources Centre at Greenwich and greatly improving its facilities
- Introducing a new curriculum that works with our students’ strengths
- Introducing Personal Tutors to mentor and advise students
- Launching the Formation Zone where entrepreneurial students can take part in this business incubator for start-ups
- Launching our Horizon Awards which augment our students’ CVs and provide proof of their employability skills and aptitudes.
based on extensive input from students and staff, is to be “a daring academic community, working in partnership with our students to enrich their lives and communities...through career-focused, progressive and strengths-based UK education and scholarship that is accessible to all”.