Full time, fixed term contract for 12 months
School of Physics & Astronomy invites applications for a full-time post of Research Fellow.
We are seeking individuals who are driven by application focused research and a keen interest in the development of technology.
The successful candidate will join the Atom Interferometry team in the Cold Atoms research group at the University of Birmingham. They will work in close collaboration with Teledyne e2v, including spending time working on their site in Chelmsford.
The responsibilities may include some but not all of the responsibilities outlined below:
- Assist in the delivery of research relating to cold atom based gravity and gravity gradient sensing.
- Apply knowledge in a way which develops new intellectual understanding.
- Disseminate research findings for publication, research seminars etc.
- Supervise students on research related work and provide guidance to PhD students where appropriate to the discipline.
- Contribute to developing new models, techniques and methods.
- Undertake management/administration arising from research.
- Contribute to Departmental/School research-related activities and research-related administration.
- Contribute to enterprise, business development and/or public engagement activities of manifest benefit to the College and the University, often under supervision of a project leader.
- Collaborate with industry partners both while working on their premises and at the University of Birmingham.
- Collect research data; this may be through a variety of research methods, such as scientific experimentation, literature reviews, and research interviews. *
- Present research outputs, including drafting academic publications or parts thereof, for example at seminars and as posters. *
- Provide guidance, as required, to support staff and any students who may be assisting with the research. *
- Deal with problems that may affect the achievement of research objectives and deadlines.*
* These indicative responsibilities may also be included in a research role at grade 6
The successful candidate would require:
- A first degree in physics, engineering or related discipline.
- Demonstrated technical and scientific experience in research undertaken through academia or industry, as evidenced by a PhD in a relevant discipline or equivalent practical experience.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a self-contained project, and to work effectively as part of a team of scientists or engineers.
- Excellent communication skills, including documentation.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Demonstrated capability and relevant experience with cold atom systems OR significant expertise in technical areas of relevance, such as underpinning hardware or systems engineering.
And would desirably possess qualities such as:
- Experience in cold atom interferometry, or similar techniques.
- Experience in precision sensing.
- Experience in technology translation and development.
- Experience collaborating with industry or within it.
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £30,395 to £39,609. With potential progression once in post to £42,036 a year.
To download the details of this position and submit an electronic application online please click on the Apply Online button below, please quote the appropriate Job Ref in all enquiries, alternatively information can be obtained from http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/staff/jobs/index.aspx
Valuing excellence; sustaining investment