Vice Dean in School of Information Science and Technology (SIST)
ShanghaiTech University - School of Information Science and Technology (SIST)
ShanghaiTech University invites applications for a full-time tenured school leader with rich administrative experience to be the Vice Dean of the School of Information Science and Technology (SIST).
The Vice Dean will provide leadership and strategic direction in research and professional education for the School. The Vice Dean will set the standard for intellectual engagement and accomplishment, provide strategic vision and operational leadership to all aspects of the academic and scholarly programs, and create an environment and community that support the School’s faculty and students. The incumbent works closely with other school deans/executive deans, administrative heads and staff to achieve common goals and outcomes.
- Provide a vision and leadership for the School for advancement in teaching and scholarship and fulfil the vision and mission of the University in accordance with the University Strategic Plan.
- Shape and implement a structure that promotes high standards of research, knowledge transfer and student learning at local and international levels.
- In collaboration with the faculty, establish new research opportunities, and undergraduate and graduate education programs for the School and direct its growth and development.
- Provide leadership on fiscal management, faculty recruitment development, and administration of the School.
- Promote innovation through the delivery of degrees at the highest standard whilst embracing new directions, ideas and opportunities.
- Inspire faculty/staff to deliver ambitious academic development programs which significantly enhance the experience of students and reinforce the University’s academic position.
- Act as a major liaison between the School and the external community, and play a role in further strengthening the School’s external relationships.
- Promote interdisciplinary collaborations and tech-transfer projects within the School and across the campus.
Qualifications & Experience:
- A doctorate degree and strong academic and professional qualifications in one of the research focuses of the School with the rank of Professor; IEEE Fellowship is highly preferred.
- A distinguished record of teaching, research and scholarship, and substantial relevant experience in academic leadership roles.
- Experience in representing an academic unit effectively, with attention to its varied constituents, external bodies, and the public.
- A track record in leadership with an ability to work collaboratively with scholars, researches, senior academic personnel and university administrators.
- Experience in working with the faculty on curriculum development and to monitor its delivery to students at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Experience in building and sustaining strong ties to a broad corporate, industry and government agency network for program development.
- Strong research and publication records and the capability to provide academic leadership in education programs.
Competencies and Personal Characteristics:
- Capability to provide a strategic vision to assist the Executive Dean to lead the School to new heights in academic achievement and an ambitious drive to foster the highest standards of scholarship, and to build on and expand the School’s strengths.
- Ability to provide strong, academic leadership, to foster academic excellence, to inspire enthusiasm for high quality teaching and research, and encourage staff development.
- Strong professional stature that would command the respect of faculty members, community stakeholders, professional bodies and government advisory bodies.
- Possession of intellectual leadership and curiosity to provide guidance to a robust research program.
- Ability to attract, motivate and retain distinguished faculty members.
- Outstanding management skills appropriate to working in an international environment with ability to create a shared sense of ownership, collegiality and enthusiasm among faculty and staff members.
- Strategic thinking and planning skills coupled with strong commitment to interdisciplinary collaboration and teamwork.
- Strong communication and networking skills to build and nurture internal and external contacts to the benefit of the School and the University.
- High level of integrity, superior judgment and strength of character.
- Mastery of a consultative and inclusive management style that is both supportive and motivating to the entire organization. A fair and firm administrator who will even-handedly and vigorously uphold quality standards in teaching and research.
- Extensive knowledge of higher education, research and research funding in China and abroad.
- A strong commitment to interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary studies, and to fostering excellence in research and education.
- Commitment to expansion of personal skills to improve and advance all causes of the University.
- Personal passion for education and public policy and a commitment to the hard work of contributing to the University, community and beyond.
- Entrepreneurship and innovative spirit.
Please send a cover letter, a CV, and the names of three referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com.