|Salary:||£32,816 to £40,322|
|Placed On:||22nd April 2021|
|Closes:||16th May 2021|
The Hebrew Studies section of the Department of Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Cambridge invites applications for a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the field of Hebrew Linguistics and Philology.
One of the major projects in the Hebrew Studies section is the compilation of a reference grammar of Biblical Hebrew. This is a major expansion and updating of Gesenius' Hebrew Grammar. The new grammar will bring together current knowledge of the different traditions of Biblical Hebrew, incorporate research on Biblical Hebrew that has been published in recent decades and incorporate new research on Biblical Hebrew undertaken by the research team in Cambridge. We are seeking a postdoctoral Research Associate to join the team working on this project.
Key activities associated with the role include:
- Drafting various sections of the reference grammar, in particular those relating to syntax. This would involve trawling the scholarly literature relevant to the topic of the section, undertaking where necessary primary research on the topic (especially quantificational studies) and collating where relevant different traditions of Biblical Hebrew
- Publication of papers relating to new research undertaken in relation to the drafting of the sections of the grammar
- Participation in the wider activities of the Hebrew and Semitic linguistics community in Cambridge, including contributions to seminars and assistance in grant-writing
- Some undergraduate teaching, if the appointee so wishes
Applicants must have:
- A PhD in the field of Hebrew linguistics or Semitic linguistics and scholarly publications that include linguistic studies of Biblical Hebrew
- Preferably also knowledge of the languages of the ancient versions (Greek, Latin, Aramaic) and the ability to work with grammatically-tagged databases of Biblical Hebrew
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Experience in grant-writing
The funds for this post are available for 2 years in the first instance.
If you have any questions about this vacancy you can contact Professor Geoffrey Khan firstname.lastname@example.org, or about the application process, please contact Ruth Farley, HR Coordinator on SAHHR@admin.cam.ac.uk
The closing date for applications is midnight (GMT) on Sunday 16 May 2021. We expect to hold interviews in the week commencing 24 May 2021 subject to change.
To apply online for this vacancy and to view further information about the role, please visit :
Please quote reference GY26377 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Type / Role: