About the team/job
The Ensembl Project, based at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI), is one of the leading providers of genome annotation globally. We seek a senior developer to contribute to our variation and phenotype resources.
In the Ensembl Variation team, we build pipelines and workflows for the aggregation and annotation of large of scale data from public archives. We develop tools for data access, visualisation and variant interpretation, including the Ensembl Variant Effect Predictor (VEP). Improvements in sequencing technology and the development of novel techniques are generating new data types and ever larger datasets. Our work enhances the impact of new scientific data enabling improved our understanding of genetic disease, evolution and population genetics. We collaborate with clinical research scientists, genomics researchers, bioinformaticians and standard setting authorities across the world to define our services.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Developing and supporting tools for the functional annotation of variants, including Ensembl VEP.
- Developing, maintaining and running efficient methods for the management of large-scale variation data.
- Investigating new sources of genomic variation and phenotype association data and integrating them into our resources.
- Collaborating with members of the broader Ensembl team on specific development projects and to coordinate our regular data/software releases.
- Liaising with other groups at EMBL-EBI and our external collaborators to add new functionalities to our tools and agree standards for data representation.
- Engaging with our user community to provide support and understand their needs.
- Sharing our work at internal meetings and scientific conferences.
This position offers the motivated candidate a unique opportunity for significant scientific involvement and development of domain area expertise in bioinformatics. You will work closely with a team of bioinformaticians/programmers and interact with other groups at the EMBL-EBI beyond.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language, preferably with experience of Perl and Python.
- Experience of managing and analysing genomics data, preferably genetic variation data.
- Experience working with large scale databases, preferably including familiarity with MySQL.
- Proficiency working in a UNIX/Linux environment.
- Ability to work to deadlines.
- Skills and motivation to deliver a high-quality product with excellent attention to detail.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Scientific curiosity and initiative
You might also have
- Familiarity with the Ensembl APIs and services
- Experience working in a production development environment, ideally creating efficient large-scale data analysis pipelines, user-friendly tools and APIs.
- Experience collaborating on software development projects and working with colleagues from different disciplines.
- Experience with a range of bioinformatics or statistical tools.
- Familiarity with C.
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind's greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if applicable)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so, if you are currently based abroad. Read more about how we are recruiting during the pandemic.
- Your application: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 31 July 2021