About the team/job
We are seeking a HPC engineer to join our Compute team within our Technical Services Cluster (TSC), serving an institute of over 800 researchers and technical staff.
You will be working closely with members of the department, and more widely with technical users across EMBL-EBI, playing an active role in the design, deployment and operation of our HPC clusters. EMBL-EBI has multiple large HPC clusters to support the large data flows and processing services fundamental to EMBL-EBI activities.
The services you will provide, along with the department, enable EMBL-EBI’s technical research and administrative staff to process and make the world’s public biological data freely available to the scientific community via a range of services and tools, perform basic research and provide professional training in bioinformatics.
EMBL-EBI is custodian to an ever increasing volume of data which is made publicly available and is processed internally via multiple HPC clusters, virtualization platforms and private & public clouds. This position offers you the chance to work with a great team, gain experience with a range of high end HPC hardware and storage.
Working as part of the 4 member Compute team, under the direction of the Head of Infrastructure, you will:
- Ensure the day-to-day operation, reliability, and integrity of EMBL-EBI’s HPC clusters, including schedulers, software, hardware and networking
- Recommend, design and deploy future EMBL-EBI HPC clusters and infrastructure, including both logical configuration and physical racking and cabling
- Automate the setup and configuration of clusters, using tools such as Ansible
- Support users and investigate and resolve complex issues where in-depth evaluation of various technical and non-technical factors is required
- Build positive relationships, communicating openly and professionally within the team and with stakeholders from the TSC and wider EMBL-EBI community
- Produce high quality documentation to support work done, and work actively to share knowledge within the team
You will work both collaboratively and with a reasonable degree of autonomy and regularly present your work back to collaborators and stakeholders to gather feedback.
- Ideally at least 5 year of experience with HPC cluster setup, configuration and maintenance
- Strong Linux administration skills, ideally with RHEL or a RHEL clone
- Strong skills with Linux automation frameworks such as Ansible
- Solid skills in at least one programming language, ideally python
- Solid interpersonal and written English communication skills
- Experience in debugging complex issues caused by an interplay of user jobs, hardware or firmware
You might also have
Experience with the following would be desirable but not essential:
- Modules environment configuration, ideally using SPACK
- Parallel storage technologies, such as Lustre, GPFS or BeeGFS
- Cloud technologies, including Google or AWS
- Experience working in an education or research environment
- Container technologies, ideally Singularity or Docker
- Methodologies for infrastructure monitoring.
- Job schedulers, ideally LSF and/or Slurm
- Experience with compiling from source and troubleshooting
- Various network technologies, such as ethernet and infiniband
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind's greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if applicable)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
- For more details please see our employee benefits page
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so, if you are currently based abroad. Read more about how we are recruiting during the pandemic.
- Your application: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date.