About the team/job
EMBL's European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) is seeking a Senior Programme Manager to lead strategic initiatives and projects to support the effective long-term management and delivery of the EMBL-EBI data services portfolio.
These services make a variety of data openly available to support life sciences research, and are accessed millions of times each day. Many of the resources are delivered in partnership with international collaborators and operate under diverse funding and governance models. The resources play key roles in large international research projects, European data infrastructures, and within the EMBL 2022-2026 scientific programme.
On a technical level, the resources have deep interdependencies and are run by a staff of around 600 people, organised into teams and larger sections. This is a complex organisation that also has many outward facing responsibilities, for example, providing input and leadership in a variety of forums on matters relating to data management, data reuse, and open science.
As Senior Programme Manager you will have the opportunity to develop and deliver integrated programme plans and to support activities aligned with the EMBL-EBI services strategy. These activities will feed directly into future strategy development, which will be coordinated across the EMBL-EBI data resources.
A key part of this multifaceted role, you will utilise your strategic approach, building relationships and collaborating with internal /external stakeholders, including international funders, collaborators and other aligned organisations on a regular basis.
This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is motivated by delivering open infrastructure in support of life sciences research in an organisation with a public service mission.
Reporting to the EMBL-EBI Associate Directors for Services, your responsibilities will include:
- Developing a strategy to engage with key stakeholders on core areas of impact to the EMBL-EBI services, such as data sharing and data quality, open science requirements and sustainability of open infrastructure
- Policy and position development on matters central to the operation of the EMBL-EBI services
- Mapping external and internal information relating to services management and strategic activities (e.g. operational planning, strategy days, funding opportunities, budget reviews, internal policy reviews)
- Overseeing the organisation of key strategic events
- Line management of Associate Directors’ Office staff which includes both administrative and scientific staff
- Coordinating EMBL-EBI activities within pan-service collaborations such as the ELIXIR infrastructure
- Representing the EMBL-EBI services in workshops, panels, conferences and other appropriate situations
- Developing and managing institutional responses to requests from governments, funding agencies, societies pertaining to the EMBL-EBI service mission
- Horizon scanning and analysis of external drivers that impact EMBL-EBI services overall
- Coordinating and collaborating on the above activities with colleagues at both EMBL-EBI and broadly across EMBL, as appropriate
- Preferably a PhD in a relevant field e.g. bioinformatics or engineering.
- Ideally at least five years experience in a related profession (for example, in research management, grants management or research infrastructure management roles)
- Management experience
- Proven ability to self start, prioritise, organise and deliver complex projects with multiple stakeholders
- Policy development experience, demonstrating strategic, problem solving and creative thinking
- Ability to synthesis diverse observations and inputs into coherent narratives
- Demonstrated analytical skills, financial awareness and attention to detail
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) and ability to engage with stakeholders as diverse as software developers, bioinformaticians, funders, senior management and administrative colleagues
- Excellent networking skills and the ability to build strong working and collaborative relationships
- A collaborative spirit
You might also have
- Working/user knowledge of EMBL-EBI resources and tools
- Formal project management experience
- Negotiating skills
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind's greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- DORA - EMBL is a signatory of DORA and is committed to hiring and training outstanding research, service, and administrative personnel.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so, if you are currently based abroad. Read more about how we are recruiting during the pandemic.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 27th October 2021