We are recruiting for a Postgraduate “Data science teaching assistant” to join our new Big Data training program that will provide flexible and modular skills development for a diverse range of trainees medical practitioners, clinicians, scientists, companies and health sector professionals at different stages of their careers.
The program ‘Enabling the big data revolution through skills training’ is funded by UK Research and Innovation (https://www.ukri.org/news/initiatives-boost-health-and-bioscience-skills-and-industry/). This post will sit in the ‘Omics workstream, and will be based in the Center for Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine in the Guy’s hospital, Guy’s campus. It is internationally recognized for research on adult and pluripotent stem cells and is a focus for cutting-edge stem cell research currently taking place across the College and its partner NHS trusts, as part of King’s Health Partners. Through the Centre, King’s aims to drive collaboration between scientists and clinicians to translate the potential of stem cells into clinical reality for patients.
The post holder will have an excellent understanding of ‘Omics data, including Next Generation Sequencing and be passionate about sharing their knowledge with a wide audience. The post holder will be responsible for adapting and expanding the existing online learning material as well as creating new material covering ‘Omics data sets and their analysis over multiple workshops. They will help to build an exciting virtual learning environment which will incorporate all the workshops. The post holder will lead in the testing the training, creation of tools to monitor progress and asses learning of participants and establish and support communication between instructors and participants.
Who we are looking for:
- Experience in data science and Big Data (i.e. RNAseq, scRNAseq, ChipSeq, genomic sequencing)
- Experience in developing training material, online resources and assessment for face-to-face, online distance and blended learners
- Experience in developing modules and content in a virtual learning environment such as Moodle.
- You will be experienced in using R and Unix.
- You will be confident in managing conflicting demands and changing priorities and be able to meet deadlines
- Good communication and interpersonal skills will come naturally to you.
- You will enjoy working in an interdisciplinary team but also be able to show that when required you can work independently.
Your duties will include:
- Collect existing training material and organize it in a structured training course. The training material will cover R, Stats with R, UNIX, ‘Omics data analysis at a beginner level
- Contribute to the expantion of the existing material to different level of competencies (intermediate and advanced)
- Development of new training material as required
- Creation of different assessment such as quizzes and exercises using real-life examples and software programming skill practice.
This post will be offered on an a fixed-term contract for 18 months
This is a full-time / post - 100% full time equivalent.
We value your feedback on the quality of our adverts.
If you have a comment to make about the overall quality of this advert,
or its categorisation then please