|Salary:||£27,116 to £31,406|
|Placed On:||20th September 2021|
|Closes:||8th November 2021|
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for 1 years in the first instance.
The University Information Services (UIS) provides the University of Cambridge, its Colleges and associated institutions with a very wide and constantly changing range of information technology (IT) related services in support of administration, research and teaching.
The UIS Service Desk is part of the Service Management Office who are responsible for the provision and support of UIS services provided to the University. The Service Desk performs both first and second tier support. The role holder will be the first port of call for technical queries and is expected to solve complex technical problems regarding UIS services in person, by telephone, or email. They will assist the Technical Support teams and investigate computer fault reports, maintain managed workstations and assist with the provision of public and internal services for use by the University. This may include helping to run services, troubleshooting service problems, writing and updating documentation and providing one-to-one learning support to staff and students where appropriate.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- During the supported hours of 08:30-17:00 Monday to Friday, perform both first and second tier support via remote or onsite means.
- Prioritise and diagnose incidents and requests according to agreed procedures. Investigate causes and seek resolution. Escalate unresolved incidents and facilitate with recovery.
- Act as the main contact point, receiving and handling requests for support via multiple channels.
- Resolve a broad range of service requests based on the UIS service catalogue and procedures.
- Analyse causes of incidents and inform service owners in order to minimise probability of recurrence and contribute to service improvement.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
The role holder is expected to have:
- A-level standard of education/NVQ level 3 vocational qualification or equivalent level of practical experience.
- Recent experience in delivering a service
- Comprehensive administration experience in at least two of the following technologies: Microsoft operating systems and their applications packages, Apple Macintosh and popular applications, and Unix Networking.
- Experience of supporting customers in the use of IT systems and services is essential, including an understanding of how desktop systems operate in a client server environment.
- Excellent communications skills.
- The role holder must be self-motivated, willing to acquire new skills and knowledge, capable of working unsupervised, and must be able to complete projects in a timely professional manner.
Applications are welcome from internal candidates who would like to apply for the role on the basis of a secondment from their current role in the University.
We welcome applications from individuals who wish to be considered for part-time working or other flexible working arrangements.
To apply online for this vacancy and to view further information about the role, please visit :
For any queries regarding this position please contact Richard Kruller via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is 8 November 2021.
Please quote reference VC28196 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Type / Role: