Location: University of Bradford
- The Head of Research Centre is responsible for providing leadership to a Research Centre within the School to enable it to deliver the school’s mission, vision, and strategy, both in Bradford and with Collaborative Partners.
- The role holder will manage, motivate, and support staff to develop and deliver high quality work in research and research informed teaching, as well as supporting and enabling engagement with wider Faculty and University scholarly activities and citizenship.
- The role holder will deputise for the Head of School as requested.
- To make a scholarly contribution to research, teaching, and knowledge exchange in their specialist area relevant to the University strategy and the sub-strategies of Research & Innovation Strategy and Learning, Teaching & Student Experience Strategy.
- To disseminate knowledge through teaching students from diverse entry pathways and contribute to the teaching and supervision requirements of the Faculty.
- To be collegiate and support the co-creation of knowledge through fundamental and applied research with the aim of enhancing research opportunities and contributing to a positive student experience;
- To maintain a research record with publications in 3* CABS or equivalent rated journals and/or internationally impactful publications;
- To demonstrate grant activity and/or commercial income;
- To support the pursuit of distinctiveness and competitive advantage through embedding the University Strategic objectives;
- To keep up to date with developments in subject area, developing relevant skills and keep abreast of University and sector wide policies, procedures, and regulations.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Management
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for the advancement of the Research Centre that is aligned to the vision and strategy of the Faculty and University themes, reporting performance against it to the Faculty.
- Plan and organise resources related to the Research Centres research and educational programmes and contribute to strategic planning at various levels in School.
- Responsible for the management of Research Centre staff, including setting and assessing individual and team performance targets, carrying out staff performance reviews (PDRs) and proactively addressing and resolving performance and conduct concerns.
- Encourage and enable the professional development of staff through the identification of training needs and distribution of associated resources.
- Provide a supportive and productive environment for early career researchers, and a supportive and impactful mentoring system for all staff.
- Work with the Director of Studies (DoS) to ensure workloads are fair and consistent, given the needs of both the Research Centre and the School.
- Monitor and ensure that staff fulfil their workload, duties, and responsibilities to the highest standards.
- Provide support to the Associate Deans in fulfilment of the Faculty’s International, Learning and Teaching and Research strategies.
- Contribute to and/or lead relevant themes that contribute towards the ambitions of the University/Faculty in pursuing Athena Swan and other appropriate aspirations/ standards that enhance the University’s strategy of promoting Equality and Diversity.
- Attend, and/or chair and contribute at relevant committees at both School and University level.
- Be proactive within relevant internal and external networks to further knowledge and understanding of International and to further increase the profile of the Research Centre, School, Faculty and University.
- Lead multi-disciplinary, high-profile research via the Faculty’s Research Centres.
- Enhance the Faculty’s Research Centre’s reputation and impact to ensure a vibrant research environment.
- Disseminate and communicate research including publication of 3* and/or 4* outputs in the highest quality journals.
- Provide a stimulating and inclusive research environment to support the successful graduation of doctoral students.
- Contribute as an Independent Chair and internal and/or external examiner.
- Generate grant and contract income to support the University’s research and impact.
- Play a significant role in regional, national, and international networks and partnerships to support the University’s research and impact.
- Engage with public policymakers, charities, commerce and industry to shape and inform the research landscape.
- Contribute/lead the development of Impact Case Studies.
- Lead and contribute to delivering the University’s corporate goal and strategic ambitions of enhancing a research- intensive environment with a research enriched curriculum that supports positive student outcomes.
- Contribute to the Annual Planning Cycle and the production of the Faculty plan including PRES (and other) actions plans and other strategies supportive of enhancing the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) and Research Excellence Framework (REF) outcomes.
- Maintain distinctiveness through ensuring quality and standards satisfy the University’s assurance framework (including Regulations and Codes of Practice) and enhancement objectives.
- Ensure excellence in research, and full alignment with for example AMBA, AACSB and EQUIS accreditation standards.
- Ensure the integrity of the portfolio of programmes within the Research Centre is maintained, and that the portfolio is continuously monitored and enhanced to meet/exceed market expectations.
- Liaise with the ADL&T, DoS and Programme Leaders to ensure that teaching content is up to date, refreshed as appropriate and is research enriched. Work with ADL&T, DoS and Programme Leaders to develop appropriate new modules and courses, including assessment, as appropriate at both UG and PG levels.
- Work with the Business Engagement team to maximise currency and relevance of programme curricula.
- Ensure teaching within the Research Centre is research-led with subject content underpinned by relevant specialist research.
- Lead the design and development of an inclusive, accessible, and research-informed teaching curriculum and supportive learning activities.
- Ensure the Research Centre has appropriate plans in place to identify, promote, administer, and grow placement activities.
- Ensure strong collaboration within the Research Centre to ensure high levels of student satisfaction and quality outcomes.
- Undertake the role of Personal Academic Tutor (PAT) in accordance with the University’s PAT role descriptor.
Knowledge Exchange and Business & Community Engagement
- Create and respond to opportunities to develop and successfully deliver executive education, CPD or training.
- Lead submissions to accreditation bodies as required, including demonstration of compliance standards and co-ordination of re-accreditation groups.
Person Specification : Qualifications
- PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant subject area
- Honours degree (or equivalent in a relevant subject area OR honours degree in an unrelated subject with a higher degree and/or professional qualification in an appropriate area
- Member of HEA or commitment to achieving appropriate level of membership (desirable criteria)
- A registered professional (as applicable)
- A level of English equivalent to level C1 on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR)
Experience, Skills and Knowledge
- Significant experience of teaching and facilitating/supporting learning in Business Analytics and Sustainability at undergraduate and/or postgraduate taught and postgraduate research level leading to successful student outcomes
- Experience of leading the design, development, and effective delivery of innovative programmes. Implementing and evaluating educational activities at under and post graduate levels including postgraduate taught and postgraduate research levels.
- Evidence of incorporating contemporary technologies to enhance learning and optimise attainment for all students
- Evidence of designing and implementing approaches to assessment that inspire and engage students, promote learning, and enhance self-regulation
- Evidence of programme leadership and enhancement
- Evidence of supporting work-based learning and promoting/supporting entrepreneurialism
- Experience of managing a wide range of student pedagogical and welfare issues including those pertaining to postgraduate research students, (including personal tutoring).
- Track record of effective research project supervision at undergraduate and postgraduate level, and attracting, retaining, and supervising doctoral student projects to completion
- Possess a distinguished record of academic achievement at 3* and/or 4* including a substantive record of research papers recognised for their originality, citation and rigour and published in relevant international high impact peer-reviewed journals
- Evidence of significant esteem
- Experience of leading as Co or Principal Investigator the application of external research funding
- Experience of leading, as Principal Investigator and managing research projects that have delivered on time and to budget
- Evidence of contributing to the development of early career researchers
- Use expert knowledge and experience to actively represent and enhance the interest, reputation and prestige of the University and own academic discipline in both its academic and professional dimensions, and identify and exploit opportunities to enhance the University’s reputation
- Evidence of exercising leadership in teaching/research and to play an active role in matters relating to teaching quality assurance and subject review and accreditation
- Evidence of resolving complex education and/or research related problems, using initiative and creativity whilst ensuring compliance with appropriate regulations and policies
The University of Bradford has appointed SearchHigher as their recruitment partner for this campaign; please apply below by submitting a CV & Cover Letter in Word Document format , or you can also email your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org ; or call Kaye Powell on 07387238343 for a confidential conversation.