Within the University of Dundee, the newly announced Centre for Targeted Protein Degradation (CeTPD) due to open in early 2022 is being created as a first of its kind Centre leading a number of internationally significant projects in the burgeoning new area of translational chemical biology and targeted protein degradation. The goal of CeTPD is to innovate a next-generation of small-molecule platforms and modalities to advance chemical and biological insights and therapeutic targets related to human diseases. It aspires to achieve this by openly collaborating with academic, industrial and venture partners, and by training and inspiring the next-generation of research scientists and leaders.
We are seeking to appoint a Senior Biology Technician to join our expanding Centre based at the University of Dundee. The focus of this new role will be to support the smooth running of CeTPD biology laboratory facilities, including shared tissue culture and fermentation suites, and to perform routine research to support and accelerate molecular and cell biology projects studying the mechanisms and cellular effects of targeted protein degraders. The individual will have the opportunity to work closely with biochemists and cell biologists across internal research teams, external collaborators, and contract research organizations (CROs) to accelerate CeTPD academic and translational research programmes. The individual will regularly present progress to the rest of the group and leadership.
Your priorities will include:
- Independently perform routine biological experiments. Develop new reagents, protocols, and cell lines as per required and following discussion with CeTPD leadership. Monitor milestones and ensure deliverables are completed on time.
- Collect and analyze experimental data and identify next steps based on outcomes. Maintain clear and accurate records of experimental work (e.g., experimental methods, results/findings).
- Train research technicians and other scientific staff in methods/techniques.
- Prepare presentations and present facilities update status and research outcomes at internal CeTPD meetings.
- Ensure availability of appropriate materials for routine cleaning of the Biology laboratories by liaising with the Laboratory Management support team.
Who we’re looking for:
- Qualified to at least degree level or equivalent and have proven relevant experience.
- Cell culture experience involving maintaining multiple cell lines for extended periods.
- Experience of acting as first point of contact for queries regarding practical teaching.
- Strong liaison skills with a wide range of individuals
- Ability to clearly communicate complex, specialist information both orally and in writing
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by the UKVI to enable sponsorship of migrant workers. Further information can be found at: https://uod.ac.uk/2qUx1RR
We are one of the UK’s leading universities – internationally recognised for our expertise across a range of disciplines and research breakthroughs in multiple areas, including science, medicine and engineering, amongst many others. Conveniently located on the banks of River Tay, our main city-centre campus is at the heart of Dundee - an up-and-coming, friendly, compact and affordable city with a rich heritage in design and technology. Just a short walk from the V&A Museum of Design Dundee, we’re close to both the train and bus stations. We also have campuses at Ninewells Hospital and in Kirkcaldy which are easily accessible via local transport links.
For further information about this position please contact Professor Alessio Ciulli
The closing date for applications 7th November 2021.
The University of Dundee and the School of Life Science hold an Athena SWAN Silver Award, which recognises the promotion of gender equality. We strongly believe that diversity in our staff is crucial for our creativity and success and are committed to advance our inclusive culture by supporting and encouraging all staff and provide bespoke support as required for under-represented groups.