|Salary:||£20,488 to £21,868 with potential progression once in post to £26,603 a year|
|Placed On:||12th October 2021|
|Closes:||26th October 2021|
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £20,488 to £21,868, with potential progression once in post to £26,603 a year, Band 400
Fixed Term Contract for up to 24 months
Applications are invited for a full time (36 hours/week) Research Technician to work in the College of Medical and Dental Sciences, Institute of Microbiology and Infection at the University of Birmingham, under the supervision of Dr Felicity deCogan
The successful candidate will be working in an established research group by supporting of a novel research programme to develop antimicrobial surfaces and test their efficacy. This will be achieved by providing technical assistance by undertaking a range of techniques all of which underpins the group's research.
Along with the day-to day duties the research will include:
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
• NVQ, BTEC/ONC at level three or equivalent level three qualification and specific relevant experience in an appropriate subject (Chemistry and Biology).
• GCSE level 2 (A*- C) or equivalent level 2 qualification in mathematics and English.
• Practical experience of relevant techniques described above and a working knowledge of Good Laboratory Practice.
• Experience of working in a laboratory based teaching or research environment; or be able to demonstrate the capability to participate in research projects.
• Ability to organise and manage own workload after consultation with manager.
• Familiarity with the use of a wide range of general laboratory equipment e.g. balances, pH meters, autoclaves, glass washing machines, microscopes.
• Proactive approach to Health and Safety matters, together with the communication skills to interact with a range of people, including students.
• Ability to be flexible to meet deadlines.
• The post-holder will be fully familiar with the safe handling and storage of laboratory materials.
• Good IT skills, having a familiarity with both Windows and/or Apple Macintosh OS will be advantageous.
• Understands the importance of equality and diversity in the workplace.
• Ability to identify and respond to equality and diversity issues in line with relevant policies and procedures.
For further information please contact Dr Felicity De Cogan, email: F.DECOGAN@BHAM.AC.UK
To download the full job description and details of this position and submit an electronic application online please click on the Apply Online button below or visit https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/staff/jobs/index.aspx Please quote Job Ref 98406 in all enquiries.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.
Type / Role: