The Pirbright Institute
The Pirbright Institute delivers world-leading research to understand, predict, detect and respond to viral disease outbreaks.
Organisation position and purpose:
This post is funded by a Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation grant aiming to defining the fine specificity of antibody responses in livestock to inform vaccine development. Established workflows will then be made available to as wide a range of collaborators as possible.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Provide proportionate, reliable and authoritative specialist HSBS advice to staff/students and stakeholders, including supporting risk assessment, ensuring biological containment, and facilitating operational controls.
- Develop best practice in all applicable aspects of HSBS risk management and regulatory compliance, particularly biorisk management up to Containment Level 4 for animal health and genetic modification hazards, and up to Containment Level 3 for human health hazards.
- Line manage the post of Environment Adviser, ensuring environmental risks and associated legal duties are being satisfactorily managed, monitored and reported.
- Assist implementation of relevant management systems such as ISO 35001 and ISO 45001, working in conformity to quality management systems such as ISO 9001, and carrying out internal audits to assess and improve conformity to systems and management of risk.
- Working with other HSBS Advisers, and other relevant Institute colleagues, identify training needs and develop and deliver effective training, in support of the above.
- Contribute to HSBS aspects of the site development programme and capital projects.
- Assist with management and investigation of incidents, including development of emergency preparedness, root cause analysis, identification of lessons learned, and collation of metrics.
- Monitor and facilitate implementation of corrective and improvement actions identified by audits and investigations.
- Act as duty Biological Safety Officer on a rota basis (training and support for this will be given), to provide immediately available advice and assistance on biosafety matters, in both working hours and out-of-hours, subject to a paid allowance for the latter.
Work reliably under pressure, have good time management, be able to rapidly adjust priorities, be able to work both independently and as part of a team, exhibit tact and sensitivity, develop and exert influence, good problem solving and decision-making skills, work to exacting standards.
- Degree, or equivalent qualification, in a bioscience subject, or an equivalent subject.
- Significant research and/or technical laboratory experience.
- Experience of, or demonstrable interest in, management of biorisk and health & safety.
- Track record of delivering high quality work, on time, to achieve business objectives.
- Track record of building effective work relationships and a collegiate working ethos.
- NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety, or equivalent qualifications or training.
- ISTR BioSafety Practitioner 1 (BSP1) qualification and/or experience of biosafety practice or laboratory management.
- Auditing qualifications or training, and/or experience in ISO 35001 or ISO 45001 auditing.
- Training qualifications, and/or experience in development and delivery of HSBS training.
- IEMA Certificate in Environmental Management, or equivalent qualifications, training or experience.
To apply for this vacancy please visit our careers page -Jobs | The Pirbright Institute
We acknowledge, understand and embrace diversity, equality and inclusion
We value your feedback on the quality of our adverts.
If you have a comment to make about the overall quality of this advert,
or its categorisation then please