About the team/job
We have an exciting opportunity for a Head of Grants to lead our Grants team at EMBL's European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) based in Hinxton, near Cambridge.
We are proud to say that EMBL-EBI has a successful history in identifying and obtaining external funds to further their activities. The EMBL-EBI Grants Office supports ~160 applications for external funding per year, and the current external grant income to EMBL-EBI is in excess of €36.5 million per annum from over 165 active awards.
As a key part of the Administration and Operations team, you will report to the Senior Finance Manager and lead a team of nine staff who provide administrative support for external funding activities.
The Grants Office is a close-knit busy team, currently comprising of seven business partnering Grants Officers, a Grants Data Research Information Officer who manages the Current Research Information System (CRIS; Converis), and a HR-Finance Systems Administrator who monitors financial approvals and associated communications on HR changes (new posts, post extensions and changes in funding commitments).
In addition you will take ownership for:
- Supporting EMBL-EBI Principal Investigators and other grant applicants in identifying external funding opportunities, applying for such opportunities and in the management of all awarded grants and similar awards;
- Monitoring EMBL-EBI grants compliance, management of general grant compliance issues at an EMBL level and providing support, training and guidance to grant holders in their management of grant compliance at an individual award level;
- Management of grant related modules of EMBL’s integrated research system (Converis) and other grant related administrative systems;
- Maintaining good and proactive relations with grant awarding bodies, liaising effectively over changes in funding schemes, identifying impacts to EMBL and EMBL-EBI of changes in funder requirements and policies and establishing initial action plans to address any resultant issues;
- Policy and process development around funder requirements
- Review and streamlining of EMBL-EBI’s grants administration and promotion of a culture of excellent customer service to EMBL’s scientific community;
- Management of the process for review, negotiation and finalisation of all grant agreements, consortium agreements and other related grant contractual documents; and
- Ensuring the provision of services necessary for the expansion of grant funding activities.
The work is varied, and you will have autonomy to develop and improve processes in a dynamic, international working environment.
- A degree in life sciences or other subject area that is relevant to the remit of EMBL-EBI
- Strong grants management experience gained in a scientific environment
- Proven experience in management of teams
- In-depth understanding of grant contracts and compliance
- Hands on experience using software and tools required for one or more aspects of research information management; for example CRIS systems (EMBL currently operates Converis) and ERP software (EMBL currently operates SAP) and associated analytic reporting tools (e.g., BI)
- Practical understanding of important elements of Data Protection
- Practical understanding of important elements of contractual Intellectual Property concerns
- Experience in development and coordination of processes and procedures
- The ability to communicate equally well with scientists, administrators and management
- Strong interpersonal skills, including experience in motivating and inspiring colleagues
- Excellent organisational skills and knowledge of process to prioritise workload of yourself and others
- A proven history of proactive management of projects and problems
- Experience in managing highly confidential matters with diplomacy and tact
- Project management experience along with excellent organisation and time management skills
- Excellent command of Excel
- Excellent spoken and written English
You might also have
- Understanding and empathy of an international research environment
- Financial qualifications or equivalent experience
- Legal qualifications or equivalent experience
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind's greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, near Cambridge, UK. You will be required to relocate if you are based overseas and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 17th December 2021.