About the team/job
We are seeking a Java / Spring Software Engineer to join the IMPC project, at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located at the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
The International Mouse Phenotyping Consortium (IMPC) is a G7 recognised global research infrastructure that coordinates the production and phenotyping of thousands of new mutant mouse strains to better understand human health. Over the last 10 years the consortium has identified over 90,010 phenotypes linked to the 7,824 genes analysed in our latest data release, uncovering genes that have a role in deafness, diabetes, and several rare diseases.
This opportunity will enable you to apply your skills to improve the resources that play a crucial role into research with human genetic diseases and aging. Your primary responsibilities will be to support and extend backend services that provide APIs and to support our webservices. You will also assist with our existing data release and reporting pipelines and work closely with the developers of the large IMPC resource to find new ways to represent the existing data. You will be collaborating with other groups at EMBL-EBI and external collaborators, both within the UK and internationally, to improve our websites.
For further information about the International Mouse Phenotyping Consortium, visit www.mousephenotype.org
- Expert knowledge of Java (Ideally 11+) and Spring (MVC, Security, Integration)
- Knowledge of software engineering practises and Java application architecture
- Familiarity with HTTP semantics, REST APIs and RESTful services
- Experience writing unit and integration tests
- Worked with CI/CD and automation tooling (such as Apache Maven, GitLab, Jenkins, Nexus)
- Familiar with version control (such as Git, GitHub)
- Worked with relational (PostgreSQL) and NoSQL (MongoDB) databases
- Experience of indexed search engines (ElasticSearch/ Apache Solr)
- Experience running web application servers (such as Jetty/Tomcat)
- Willing to interpret and contribute to legacy code and learn new skills
- Good communication skills
- Comfortable writing technical documentation
You might also have
- Experience of high-performance computing frameworks (such as Hadoop, Apache Spark or IBM/LSF).
- Experience of functional or reactive programming
- Containerisation skills (Docker or similar) and container orchestration
- Experience with JSP
- Experience in modern front-end technologies such as Angular or React
- Knowledge of bioinformatics / biology / genetics
- Prior experience working in a multidisciplinary scientific environment.
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind's greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a fixed term contract with an anticipated end date of 31.12.2022.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, near Cambridge, UK. You will be required to relocate if you are based overseas and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 10th December 2021.