Professor in Civil Engineering
Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – Department of Civil Engineering
School: Design School
Position Title: Professor
Vacant Number: 1
Location: Suzhou Campus
Position Open Date: 28th October 2021
Advertisement Closing Date: 31st January 2022
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Lead the improvement and engage actively in the learning and teaching activities of civil engineering and related programmes;
- Lead the further enhancement of research performance and outputs within the research subject area;
- Participate in strategy development and implementation at the university level. Provide administrative contributions to the Department, School, and University.
- Make a significant contribution to the continued enhancement of the University’s reputation within the subject area both regionally and internationally;
- Show evidence of international recognition in the research subject area (such as leadership roles of international organisations, membership of editorial and advisory boards, award of prizes, and invitations to contribute at conferences);
- Engage actively in and sustain research activities as evidenced at the international level, for example by publication in international peer-reviewed journals with high impact factor, strategic research collaboration and grant income, and supervision of doctoral students to completion;
- Be responsible for the full engagement with the University’s strategies and policies relating to learning and teaching, as evidence for example by contributions to the management of learning and teaching within the Department, School, and/or University, initiation or significant development of a programme, curricula and/or assessment practices;
- Normally have substantial learning and teaching experience or relevant learning and teaching qualification, for example, through completion of a recognised qualification in the practice of learning and teaching at the higher education level. A senior fellowship accreditation is preferred;
- Deliver high quality and effective teaching, as evidenced for example by peers, students and external examiners; Demonstrate evidence of external recognition for excellent teaching and assessment;
- Provide effective leadership within the departmental context
Qualification and Personal Attributes:
The candidate has to be a strong team player and self-motivated individual with good interpersonal and relationship-building skills and high standards of professionalism. The post holder should also have a good research record, an international research profile, promoting and delivering high quality teaching and research, and the skills to develop research links with external organisations. The post holder will be expected to enhance XJTLU’s excellence in research and teaching in the area of civil engineering. Applicants in all areas of Civil Engineering are encouraged to apply.
- Have a PhD degree and extensive experience in civil engineering or an appropriate field;
- Appropriate research experience for the corresponding academic position;
- Track record of successful peer reviewed research funding applications;
- Have teaching experience in undergraduate and/or postgraduate courses;
- Fluency in English.
Desirable Competencies and Skills:
- A track record of both high quality and impact research and successful academic management;
- Substantial learning and teaching experience in higher education, at both undergraduate and postgraduate programme levels;
- Professional qualification and membership of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) or Institution of Structural Engineers (IstructE) or other equivalent Professional Engineer qualifications.
Members of Academic Staff receive generous subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education, and medical insurance. A relocation allowance is provided. Non-Chinese passport holders may qualify for multi-year income tax “holidays”, depending on nationality and tax residency.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your application on XJTLU carrer website via the apply button. Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email Head of Department, Dr.Jun Xia at Jun.Xia@xjtlu.edu.cn. Informal enquiries may be addressed to HRBP for Design School, Ms. Xinyun Yang at Xinyun.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.