The world-famous and internationally respected Wellcome Sanger Institute has an exciting opportunity for a talented Advanced Research Assistant to join the DNA Pipelines Sample Management team. The DNA Pipelines Operations has a central role in delivering high-quality data to our faculty.
About the role
The role of Advanced Research Assistant is laboratory-based where you will be responsible for performing DNA and RNA extractions as well as routine laboratory techniques in a high throughput environment.
Your role will include:
- Working collaboratively as part of a team, producing quality data within defined timeframes and assisting with the everyday running of the laboratory.
- Performing DNA and RNA extractions as well as routine laboratory processes interpreting results to a pass / fail level.
- Troubleshooting and identifying solutions, and communicating data anomalies.
- Proactively contributing ideas and identifying areas for process improvement.
- Ensuring processes, protocols, and risk assessments are kept up to date.
- Supporting team members with their training and development objectives.
We encourage all staff to take part in the learning and development opportunities available.
- BSc in a biological science or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge and practical experience in DNA and RNA extractions and routine laboratory processes.
- Excellent organisation and planning skills demonstrating autonomy and managing competing priorities in a busy environment.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure with conflicting demands whilst delivering results in terms of volume/ speed/ quality.
- A ‘team player’ with a strong professional ethos demonstrating an approachable attitude and willingness to share information.
About the research
DNA Pipelines Operations provides library preparation and genomic and transcriptomic analysis services for the Institute’s faculty.
DNA Pipelines Operations is split into a number of specialist, highly-trained teams, working closely together to ensure seamless processing of the samples through the pipelines, whilst ensuring the final sequence data released is of the highest quality.
The Sample Management team provide collection and storage of samples, extraction from a variety of source material and QC of submitted DNA and RNA prior to library prep.
- BSc in a biological science or equivalent experience
- Knowledge and practical experience in DNA and RNA extractions and routine laboratory processes
- Previous work experience as a technician / research assistant in a molecular biology laboratory
- Ability to correctly interpret scientific data
- Excellent organisation and planning skills demonstrating autonomy and managing competing priorities in a busy environment
- Ability to work effectively under pressure with conflicting demands whilst delivering results in terms of volume/speed/quality
- Confident decision maker
- A team player attitude with strong professional ethos demonstrating an approachable attitude and willingness to share information
- Computer literate: Microsoft Office programmes including Word and Excel
- Knowledge and practical experience in genotyping using Fluidigm processes
- Experience in training and mentoring
- Computer literate: LIMS experience and basic programming of automation platforms
- Experience with automation and high-throughput assays
Closing date: 2nd February 2022
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Wellcome Genome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance is accessible on day 1 for all
- Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract exceeding 12 months)
- Enhanced maternity, parental and adoption leave
- Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Wellcome Genome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
- Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
- A car-share initiative
- Free parking
- A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
- A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
In 2020 we were awarded an Athena SWAN Silver Award. We will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.