Deputy Dean, Director of Education, Research and Development
Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – School of Internet of Things (IoT)
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Computer science, information science, electronics, artificial intelligence, networking and communication
CAMPUS: Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University [XJTLU], Taicang Campus
EXPECTED INTERVIEW DATE: Interviews will be held as early as possible. Informal discussions will be arranged with the Dean in the first instance
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time; Fixed-Term/3-year contract, renewable. 3rd contract is open-ended
Negotiable based on experience and qualifications
Applications are invited for the position of Deputy Dean, Director of Education, Research and Development to assist the Dean in establishing and developing the new School of Internet of Things (IoT) at the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang campus), part of Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU). The position will be a key link in developing education and research programmes within the school and building links between business partners and the Entrepreneur College, and be a member of the School Management Team. The post holder will report to the Dean of the School.
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
Taicang Campus Overview
Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is building a new teaching site in Taicang city - XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang campus), with the collaboration of the Taicang Municipal Government and industry partners, as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. The new Taicang campus will be a pioneer of, and an educational model for developing talent and industry leaders to meet local, national, and global challenges of the 4th Industrial Revolution, in a state-of-the-art campus. XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang campus) is directed by a Leadership Team, which is comprised of the Taicang Principal, Taicang Associate Principal, Chief Operating Officer, School Deans and Director of Innovation Factories.
The School of Internet of Things (IoT) is one of the seven industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang campus). Each School consists of an Education, Research and Development Institute (“ERDI”) for teaching and university-business research collaboration, a professional services centre supporting daily activities of students, staff, and business partners, and a School Affiliated Company jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s industry partner for practical on-the-job learning and teaching.
Industry Partner Overview
The School of Internet of Things has been jointly developed with an industry partner – Eolane, to deliver industry-themed programmes. Eolane Group is a leading French company in electronic manufacturing services and original design manufacturing services, focusing on industrial control, medical, automotive, new energy, railway, defense, aerospace, IoT and other industrial fields.
The position seeks individuals who are passionate about undergraduate and graduate student engagement, who can model the excitement of engagement, discovery, and creativity, and who are committed to education as an integrated and transformational process.
The candidate should have the:
- Ability to proactively seek and respond to issues with flexible, effective and, where appropriate, innovative solutions.
- Ability to prioritise, take, and implement decisions to achieve agreed objectives.
- Ability to contribute to the strategic development of the University.
- Ability to lead and develop academic staff and mentorship skills with the ability to coach colleagues.
- The ability to interact effectively with a range of stakeholders, including staff at all levels, students, and external organisations by possessing highly developed interpersonal and communication skills.
The main duties of the role include:
- Work collaboratively with the Dean of School in the design and implementation of the School’s Teaching and Learning, and Research, Enterprise and Innovation Strategies.
- Lead the School’s business engagement initiatives with a view to building an extensive portfolio of potential business/industry collaborative partnerships.
- Promote, manage and contribute to the delivery and development of appropriate undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes to the required standards expected by the university academic regulatory framework, and where necessary appropriate professional, statutory and regulatory bodies.
- Promote, manage and contribute to the delivery of an effective programme of academic staff development to ensure academic staff are equipped to deliver high quality teaching.
- Promote best practice in relation to innovative assessment design across the School, ensuring efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of appropriate assessment and feedback to meet the needs of all stakeholders.
- Ensure that the school and curriculum design delivers an inclusive learning experience, as evidenced through student satisfaction, personal development and positive degree outcomes, and to work with industry partners to achieve this.
- Lead the development of the VLE and technology enhanced teaching to maximise academic staff engagement in approaches that promote student led learning and supports student success.
- Work with relevant School, College and University staff to identify opportunities for the successful exploitation of research.
- Manage investment funds which have been agreed by the Dean of School, Associate Principal or XJTLU Dean for Research, for Research and Innovation.
- Create and support a healthy research environment, with agreed annual research outcomes and expectations, an emphasis on impact and funded quality research and innovation and/or knowledge exchange activities.
- Identify and implement strategies to maximize grant capture and research income, from both external funding bodies and business/industry.
- Ability to contribute to the development of School and organisational strategy by being able to provide expertise and perform horizon scanning for the development of new opportunities at home and abroad.
- Contribute to XJTLU activities and Taicang Entrepreneur College initiatives such as liaising with industrial partnerships, mentoring and supporting junior staff, and willingness to undertake reasonable administrative responsibilities.
- Represent the Dean of School when necessary, within the College, University and externally as appropriate.
- Any other work-related tasks assigned by the Charter of School, the School Council, or the Dean of School.
- Candidates must be a Ph.D. holder in Computer Science, IoT, Electronic Engineering, Networking or other related subjects from a world renowned university, or be able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement.
- Candidates shall have outstanding leadership and management experience, and ability to motivate and inspire teams with good people skills.
- Candidates must have a national/international reputation and demonstrate impacts in any of the research and innovation fields relevant to the School. Candidates are expected to have a good sense of the technology trends and relevant research experience on industrial projects. Candidates should have the experience to cooperate with industrial partners to develop R&D projects.
- Candidates must have rich experience in teaching, research, academic leadership, innovation and entrepreneurship, strategic planning and financial management in a university and/or business environment.
- First class networking skills and an ability to build and nurture external contacts and partnerships, working with business other organisations in the area of innovation and business support to the benefit of the school.
- Excellent organisational, implementation and monitoring skills to deliver successful outcomes.
- Candidates must demonstrate a good track record of engagement with students and industry.
- Candidates must have a high level of communicative competence in English; an equivalent knowledge of Chinese would be an advantage.
- Candidates with administration and management experience in international universities or Sino-foreign joint universities are preferred.
- Some experience of working in a relevant industry would be an advantage.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. of China.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Dean, Professor Angelos Stefanidis, email@example.com
Please visit our website to submit an online application. You will be redirected to our online application by clicking the above 'Apply' button.
Applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes the following:
- A comprehensive and up-to-date CV that should also indicate your country/countries of citizenship, current location and country of residence, and highest education level
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer)
- A research statement of up to 2 pages, describing your main achievements to date, as well as outlining the program of research you intend to follow for the next few years.
- A teaching statement of up to a 1 page.
- A statement of up to 2 page outlining your main academic management achievements.
If you are unable to apply online please contact the HR Office: HR Business Partner, Ms Yiting Xu, firstname.lastname@example.org