Professor, School of Internet of Things
Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – School of Internet of Things, XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang)
School: School of Internet of Things, XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang)
Academic Discipline: IoT, computer science, networking and communications, systems engineering, electronics, data science
Location: Taicang, Greater Suzhou, China
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities, and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for UK and other institutional partners. At same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practice and culture from west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn.
ABOUT XJTLU ENTREPRENEUR COLLEGE (TAICANG)
In 2019, XJTLU launched Entrepreneur College, which was build and developed in collaboration with the Taicang Municipal Government and industry partners. In September 2022, XJTLU Entrepreneur College just moved to a new campus in Taicang, part of Greater Suzhou, which also won the WAN Awards for the campus design. The XJTLU Entrepreneur College are a pioneers of, and an educational model for, the future college in developing talents and leaders to meet local, national, and global challenges from the 4th Industrial Revolution. As a result, there are opportunities at all levels for innovative academics in the fields represented by the following schools and education platforms:
- School of AI and Advanced Computing
- School of Intelligent Finance and Business
- School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem
- School of Internet of Things
- School of CHIPS
- School of Robotics
- School of Cultural Technology (part of the Academy of Film and Creative Technology)
- School of Film and TV Arts (part of the Academy of Film and Creative Technology, located in the SIP Campus)
- Entrepreneur and Enterprise Hub
ABOUT THE SCHOOL OF INTERNET OF THINGS
The School of Internet of Things is one of the 7 industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang). Each School consists of an Education, Research and Development Institute (“ERDI”) for teaching and university-business research collaboration, a professional services centre supporting daily activities of students, staff, and business partners, and a School Affiliated Company jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s industry partner for practical on-the-job learning and teaching.
Industry Partner Overview
The School of Internet of Things has been jointly developed by the University and one of its industry partner – Eolane China, to deliver industry-themed programme(s).
Eolane Group is a leading French professional in electronic manufacturing services and original design manufacturing services, focusing on industrial control, medical, automotive, new energy, railway, defence, aerospace, IoT and other industrial fields. For more information please see http://www.eolane.cn/
The candidate will be a senior member of staff in the School and will be responsible to the Dean for the effective management and administration of the School’s activities. Through their leadership, the candidate will ensure that the School meets its ambitious targets by creating an intellectually stimulating and vibrant environment in which its students and staff can flourish.
The broad dimensions of the post are to:
- Lead and grow the research and academic profile of the Internet of Things subject area in collaboration with the School’s industrial partners.
- Provide leadership and vision for the future direction and development of IoT research and teaching in the School.
- Shape the School’s research strategy, deliver high-quality research, and support entrepreneurial-focused teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Take on leadership, management, and external engagement activities to support the School.
- Be a strong advocate for the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) nationally and internationally.
The School of Internet of Things is adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE). SE is a new model that has been developed by the University to address future challenges from the 4th Industrial Revolution and is a core part of the University’s strategy for the next ten-year development that stresses innovation and entrepreneurship. SE aims at training syntegrative leaders with Management skills, International perspective, Discipline-specific knowledge, and adaptability in Industry (MIDI).
The position seeks individuals who are passionate about undergraduate and graduate student engagement, who can model the excitement of engagement, discovery, and creativity, and who are committed to education as an integrated and transformational process.
The candidate should have the ability to:
- Proactively seek and respond to issues with flexible, effective and, where appropriate, innovative solutions.
- Prioritise, take and implement decisions to achieve agreed objectives.
- Contribute to the strategic development of the University.
- Lead and develop academic staff and mentorship skills with the ability to coach colleagues.
- Interact effectively with a range of stakeholders, including staff at all levels, students, and external organisations by possessing highly developed interpersonal and communication skills.
- Work collaboratively across campus and the wider university to ensure an inclusive, enriching and enabling entrepreneurial learning experience within the field.
- Work collaboratively with the Dean of School in designing and implementing the School’s Teaching and Learning, Research, Enterprise and Innovation Strategies.
- Working with the Entrepreneurial College (Taicang) Business Development team, lead the School’s business engagement initiatives with a view to building an extensive portfolio of potential business/industry collaborative partnerships.
- Promote, manage and contribute to the delivery and development of appropriate undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes to the required standards expected by the university academic regulatory framework, and where necessary appropriate professional, statutory and regulatory bodies.
- Promote, manage and contribute to the delivery of an effective programme of academic staff development to ensure academic staff are equipped to deliver high quality teaching.
- Promote best practice in relation to innovative assessment design across the School, ensuring efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of appropriate assessment and feedback to meet the needs of all stakeholders.
- Work with relevant School, College and University staff to identify opportunities for successfully exploiting research activity.
- Manage investment funds agreed by the Dean of School and Associate Principal.
- Create and support a healthy industry-enhanced research environment, with agreed annual research outcomes and expectations, an emphasis on impact and industry-funded quality research and innovation and/or knowledge exchange activities.
- Identify and implement strategies to maximise grant capture and research income from external funding bodies and business/industry.
- Supervise PhD students and mentor early career academics in PhD supervision.
- Ability to contribute to the development of the School by providing expertise and performing horizon scanning for the development of new opportunities at home and abroad.
- Contribute to XJTLU activities and Entrepreneur College (Taicang) initiatives such as liaising with industrial partnerships, mentoring and supporting junior staff, and willingness to undertake reasonable administrative responsibilities.
- Generate and manage major research grant applications to support innovative industry-focused cross-disciplinary research and become an ambassador for the School to promote interdisciplinary research and teaching activities.
- Engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches; understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative spirit in line with the campus and college ethos.
- Represent the Dean of School when necessary, within the College, University and externally as appropriate.
- Any other work-related tasks assigned by the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang) Leadership team, Dean of School or Director of ERDI.
Successful applicants to the position of Professor are expected to have:
- A PhD in IoT, computer science, networking and communications, systems engineering, electronics, data science, or related disciplines from a world-renowned university, or be able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement.
- The ability to actively engage with new educational models such as Syntegrative Education (SE).
- Familiarity with, and observe, Chinese and UK rules and regulations of higher education.
- Outstanding leadership and management experience and the ability to motivate and inspire teams with good people skills.
- A national/international reputation and demonstrate impacts in any research and innovation fields relevant to the School.
- Evidence of developing nationally and internationally recognised pedagogic research related to the School.
- Evidence of successful research partnerships with academic institutions and external organisations.
- Demonstrate evidence of good, sustained, and successful leadership of research grants and consultancy contracts and conduct high-quality research, evidenced by clear impact of output, and/or publications in leading journals.
- A good sense of the technology trends and relevant research experience on industrial projects.
- Demonstrable experience in cooperating with industrial partners to develop R&D projects.
- A rich experience in teaching, research, academic leadership, innovation and entrepreneurship, strategic planning and financial management in a university and/or business environment.
- First-class networking skills and an ability to build and nurture external contacts and partnerships, working with business other organisations in the area of innovation and business support to the benefit of the School.
- Excellent organisational, implementation and monitoring skills to deliver successful outcomes.
- A good track record of engagement with students and industry.
- A high level of communicative competence in English.
- Evidence of administration and management experience in international universities or Sino-foreign joint universities would be an advantage.
- Experience of working in a relevant industry would be an advantage.
- Evidence of being an institutional builder, who can work with the wider disciplines across the XJTLU Entrepreneur College.
- The ability to motivate and inspire a range of colleagues and stakeholders to understand and be involved in the work of the School of Internet of Things and wider university.
- Evidence of seeking innovative solutions with the imagination and creativity to inspire the next generation of entre/intra preneurs.
- Some experience of working in a relevant industry would be an advantage.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
COPENSATION & BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
- Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Education allowance
- Relocation allowance
- Commercial insurance: international insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
- Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Lave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental leave
4. Working visa and residence permit in China: XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on our university website. Please click Apply button to access.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please contact Professor Angelos Stefanidis, Dean of School by email on Angelos.Stefanidis@xjtlu.edu.cn, or the HRBP Huijuan Zhang on Huijuan.Zhang@xjtlu.edu.cn.