Contract Type: Fixed Term (12 months)
BBSRC is currently seeking to recruit two Senior Portfolio Managers to join our Research Strategy and Programmes domain, which is responsible for the development of national and international research strategy and programmes, covering:
- Frontier Bioscience- Research Infrastructure, Transformative Technologies, and Rules of Life
- Strategic thematic challenges- Bioscience for Sustainable Agriculture and Food, Bioscience for Renewable Resources and Clean Growth, and Bioscience for an Integrated Understanding of Health
- International partnership covering the developed and developing world
- Interdisciplinary research and associated partnerships
- Research strategy development using horizon scanning, community engagement and in-depth subject area reviews
- Scientific oversight of responsive and managed mode programmes.
Main Job Activities
Senior Portfolio Manager role is varied and broad, working flexibly to undertake a wide range of activities, the focus of which may vary to meet key priorities and foster/respond to new opportunities:
- contributing to the development and management of the BBSRC position on designated scientific areas
- developing and managing programmes of strategic research investment, working in partnership with other teams across the organisation
- developing and maintaining a clear understanding of the national and international development of designated areas of science and/or policy within BBSRC remit, including undertaking analyses of data and other supporting evidence
- supporting the operation of BBSRC’s Strategy Advisory Panels and expert working groups that provide advice to BBSRC on the development of strategy and policy
- coordinating input to reviews, inquiries and consultations in order to develop strategy thinking or respond to requests for information
- interfacing with the peer review committees on funding trends and other observations arising from the responsive mode portfolio
- working in partnership with others across BBSRC and other funders to develop and run (a) managed programmes of investment; and (b) workshops and other events
- Degree in a biological or related subject, and/or previous relevant experience (S)
- A demonstrable ability to work with and influence internal and external stakeholders at different organisational levels (S/I)
- Able to plan and prioritise own work area and the work of others. Contribute to wider team activities and priorities as required (S/I)
- Strong liaison, networking and negotiation skills. Ability to anticipate stakeholder reactions and deliver communication needs (S/I)
- Excellent analytical and writing skills, including the ability to present complex information concisely under tight deadlines (S/I)
- Understanding of the aims and objectives of BBSRC (I)
- Willingness to travel in UK and abroad, including occasional overnight (or longer) absences (I)
- Knowledge of the UK Research Council system, research community and peer review process (S/I)
- Experience in research strategy or policy development (S/I)
S- assessed at shortlisting stage
I – assessed at interview stage
Additionally, UKRI can offer the successful candidate:
- Flexible Working.
- 30 days annual leave + Public Holidays.
- Access to Civil Service Pension Scheme.
- Various everyday discounts through our dedicated provider.
For more information and to apply, please visit our Careers Pages