Contract Type: Open Ended or Secondment from another UKRI or government department (up to 2 years)
The role of the Senior Economic Evaluation Manager is to work with colleagues in the Performance and Evaluation Team and across UKRI to support the development of robust socio-economic evaluations as well as support the development of robust business cases (to support large scale investments between £20m - £1bn).
Key responsibilities of the role will include:
- Working with colleagues to directly run economic analysis on available data to produce new insights for the benefit of the whole of UKRI where possible. This may look at our monitoring data in new ways and provide insight into the broader socio-economic impact of EPSRC research.
- Working closely with the Head of Performance and Evaluation and the wider PET team to ensure EPSRC’s approach remains fit for purpose, working to adapt to and influence thinking in a changing Governmental and UKRI landscape; with new high-level monitoring and evaluation policies and recommended approaches being formed.
- Working under pressure, managing competing priorities to tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Working autonomously but in close collaboration with UKRI economists to develop and deliver a high-quality work programme across priority areas.
- Maintaining awareness of current best practice and latest thinking on economic evaluation approaches and methodologies relevant to assessing benefits and impacts of research.
- Translating evidence effectively, explaining technical information clearly, and describing the implications and uncertainties of analysis.
The post holder will interact with a wide range of people internally within EPSRC and UKRI, and externally; including EPSRC Executive Leadership Team and EPSRC advisory groups, UKRI analysis and strategic centre, academic and industrial contacts at all levels and external consultants delivering economic evaluations and other studies.
- Expertise in Economic analysis - Professional Competency and Technical skills. Effectively using sound judgement, evidence and economic analysis to enable accurate and professional reports and business cases which are robust and independently accepted.
- Delivering high-quality work at pace - The ability to focus on delivering robust advice and guidance to tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment, taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes.
- Leadership skills - including ability to work autonomously to develop and deliver high-quality work. The ability to work as part of wide remit teams; with peers, senior managers and wider stakeholders, and lead your work to set direction and deliver objectives.
- Understanding of the wider strategic environment - Knowledge/experience of the academic research environment and/or relevant consultancies and/or Government/Civil service/other Government departments.
- Effective stakeholder management and influence -The ability to communicate effectively with peers, senior managers and stakeholders and thereby influence policies and approaches where needed.
- Degree or equivalent in Economics (or international equivalent), or a postgraduate degree in Economics. If it is a joint degree, a good proportion of the degree modules should be in Economics.
In return UKRI can offer the successful candidate:
- Flexible Working
- 30 days annual leave + Public Holidays
- Access to Civil Service Pension Scheme
- Various everyday discounts through our dedicated provider
For more information and to apply, please visit our Careers Pages.