|Location:||Uppsala - Sweden|
|Funding for:||UK Students, EU Students, International Students|
|Funding amount:||From SEkr29,000 or £2,311.79 (converted salary*) per month|
|Placed On:||3rd March 2023|
|Closes:||10th May 2023|
We are recruiting a doctoral candidate in the history of ideas and science. The Department of History of Science and Ideas is a vibrant and excellent research environment, with outstanding research groups in political history, history of medicine and history of science, as well as strong profiles in global intellectual history, media history and the history of education. Around 50 teachers, researchers and fellows work at the department, including 12 PhD students. See our website for more information: http://www.idehist.uu.se/.
Read more about our benefits and what it is like to work at Uppsala University
Successful candidates will pursue their doctoral studies full-time in Uppsala and are expected to participate actively in departmental activities such as seminars, workshops, etc. The position is a 4-year full-time employment (starting salary is currently 29 000 SEK/month). The position might also entail teaching and other assignments up to 20 % of the full-time position (extending the position proportionally).
To meet the entry requirements for doctoral studies, you must
Be proficient in English.
We encourage applicants from all countries to apply. Swedish reading and listening comprehension is expected within two years.
Your application can be written in English or Swedish and should include:
1) a brief CV outlining your academic progress to date,
2) a copy of your MA thesis, or, if this is not complete, a summary and table of contents as well as at least one sample section,
3) a statement (of no more than 10 000 signs) outlining your proposed research. This outline should describe your research question and how it is related to the current state of research. The outline should also have a short discussion of possible sources for answering your question and methodological considerations regarding the potential of these sources,
4) an authorized copy of your Master’s degree and course grades, OR, a signed certificate from supervisor or dean of studies testifying to the completion of the thesis before the end of term
5) name and e-mail addresses of at least two referees.
We rank candidates according to a measured judgement of the quality of the submitted master thesis and the originality and relevance of the research plan. Final candidates will be interviewed.
Rules governing PhD students are set out in the Higher Education Ordinance chapter 5, §§ 1-7 and in Uppsala University's rules and guidelines.
About the employment
The employment is a temporary position according to the Higher Education Ordinance chapter 5 § 7. Scope of employment 100 %. Starting date September 1, 2023. Placement: Uppsala
For further information about the position, please contact:
Head of department, Thomas Karlsohn, email@example.com, or Director of PhD Studies Jenny Andersson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application by May 10 2023, UFV-PA 2023/732.
Are you considering moving to Sweden to work at Uppsala University? Find out more about what it´s like to work and live in Sweden
Type / Role: