|Salary:||£24,285 to £27,929 per annum|
|Hours:||Full Time, Part Time|
|Placed On:||27th March 2023|
|Closes:||19th April 2023|
Cambridge University Libraries wishes to appoint a Senior Library Assistant to improve the discoverability of our significant collections in the Arabic language. You will work closely with two user-focused departments: 80% of your time will be spent in the Department of World Collections, in the Near and Middle Eastern Section, at the University Library, and the remaining 20% in the Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (AMES) Library.
This is available as a full-time role, but we are open to the possibility of candidates seeking part-time or other flexible working arrangements. Please get in touch if you wish to discuss flexible working requirements prior to applying.
A core part of the role within the Near and Middle Eastern Section is to improve the knowledge of, and access to, Arabic language texts in the modern collection. With the support of colleagues, you will develop and then implement a plan to improve the catalogue records in the collection, and ensure they meet a high standard. You will purchase and process new material to add to the collection, and communicate regularly with wider academic communities about new resources and the activities of the Section. While at the AMES Library, you will also contribute to the provision and promotion of frontline services and training for library users, and answer enquiries on a range of topics.
To be considered for this role, you must have a good working knowledge of the Arabic language. You will have excellent communication and IT skills, and will have previous experience of working as part of a team. You will be able to work unsupervised, and to demonstrate excellent and consistent attention to detail. Prior knowledge of cataloguing in MARC21 and RDA is not essential, and full training will be provided both on cataloguing and our library management system, Alma.
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for 2 years in the first instance.
Applications are welcome from internal candidates who would like to apply for the role on the basis of a secondment from their current role in the University.
We welcome applications from individuals who wish to be considered for part-time working or other flexible working arrangements.
We particularly welcome applications from candidates from a BME background for this vacancy as they are currently under-represented at this level in our institution.
To apply online for this vacancy and to view further information about the role, please visit :
Informal enquiries are very welcome, and we strongly encourage you to get in touch if you have any questions about the post or the criteria listed for applicants. In applications, we advise you to state clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria. Please direct your enquiries to Helen Murphy, interim lead for World Collections, at email@example.com.
Closing date for applications is Wednesday 19 April 2023.
Interviews are expected to be held on Tuesday 2 May 2023.
Please quote reference VE36001 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Type / Role: