Post-doctoral Research Fellow - Political Economy, with a Focus on Political Mobilisation and Radicalisation
GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies
|Salary:||Commensurate with TV-AVH / TVöD EG 13|
|Placed on:||18th April 2017|
|Closes:||7th May 2017|
The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und
Regionale Studien is an independent social-science research institute based in Hamburg. It analyses political, social and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East, and links this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region-specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, growth and development, peace and security, and power and ideas. The GIGA seeks to appoint a
Post-doctoral Research Fellow
to conduct comparative research in political economy, with a focus on political mobilisation and radicalisation.
Applications are invited for a full-time position starting as soon as possible, with an initial contract of three years and an option for additional three years, subject to a successful evaluation. The position is designed for further professional qualification as defined in §2 WissZeitVG (Academic Fixed-Term Contract Act). The salary is commensurate with TV-AVH / TVöD EG 13.
The successful candidate will
- expand the GIGA’s expertise in comparative and regional research with specific reference to:
- Populism and political participation
- Mobilisation, radicalisation, and conflict
- Clientelism, rent-seeking, and corruption
- be an active member of the GIGA and at least one Research Programme
- pursue a targeted publication strategy, acquire third-party funding, and conduct research-based knowledge transfer
- Outstanding doctorate in economics, political science or other social sciences
- Expertise on one or more of GIGA’s research regions
- Excellent academic record in relevant fields, demonstrated by publications in renowned peer-reviewed journals and/or leading publishing houses
- Excellent quantitative and/or qualitative methodological skills
- Experience in interdisciplinary and comparative research and interest in comparative and cross-area studies
- Fit with the GIGA’s approach to research
- English-language proficiency; additional language skills relevant to research region are an asset
- Successful record in third-party funding acquisition is an asset
Part-time options will be considered, if so desired by the successful candidate. The reconciliation of work and family life is of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes gender equality and actively encourages applications from women. Among equally qualified applicants, women will receive preferential consideration in those areas in which they are underrepresented.
Please fill out the GIGA application form (found at www.giga-hamburg.de/en/vacancies) and send it with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-17-05) including relevant supporting documentation (cover letter, CV, credentials/diplomas/certificates, two letters of recommendation, list of publications, max. two work samples, work plan for first three years with its fit to the GIGA research agenda) to:
Kerstin Labusga, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies,
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Email: email@example.com (email applications are particularly welcome).
Screening of applications will begin on 10 April 2017.
The GIGA has extended the application period until 7 May 2017.
For further information, please visit the GIGA homepage (www.giga-hamburg.de).
To learn more about working & living in Germany, please visit: www.jobs.ac.uk/germany
Share this job
Type / Role: