International Talent Wanted
While we are celebrating approval from the Ministry of Education to start a new undergraduate program in World History Studies, Shanghai’s first-rate discipline, with new courses starting in September 2019, Shanghai Normal University welcomes international scholars and professors to join our research teams in social and cultural history of the West, African history, and Western historiography and urban history.
We are seeking historians with a strong international background in the above fields from any English or German speaking country to conduct teaching and research, based in Shanghai, in classical history studies, urban history, African history, women’s history, and social and cultural history of the West (with a preference for English and German high level speakers).
World History Studies is recruiting full-time staff members for research and teaching. Recruitment is open now, and the first contractual term is twelve- to twenty-four months, renewable based on the merit of the work done during the first term. Contracts will begin before September 2019.
- Publication of at least one academic article in the journals indexed in SSCI and A&HCI as first author under the name of Shanghai Normal University; for publication of a second academic article or more, awards will be granted;
- Teaching two course subjects (four hours/week) in English per semester according to the regulations of the university and being responsible for the supervision of students and related academic activities;
- A twelve- to twenty-four month contract, which is renewable at the end of the contract period depending on the performance of the appointee.
- PhD from an internationally renowned university;
- Full capability in the English language in teaching and research in the above fields;
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching and research in a field of study or promising ability in teaching and research delivery;
- Postdoctoral research positions also available.
- Salary: postdoctoral researcher/lecturer’s annual salary is RMB 160,000 (about $23,000); associate professor: RMB 220,000 (about $31,600); full professor: RMB 300,000–400,000 (about $43,000–$57,500), negotiable based on qualifications of applicants.
- Accommodation: During the contract period, an additional annual housing allowance of RMB 20,000 (about $2,800) and housing information will be provided.
- Annual home leave subsidy: RMB 10,000 (about $1,400) per year for return tickets.
- All salaries indicated above are pre-tax (e.g., the lecturer’s salary is RMB 160,000 annual salary, 20,000 housing allowance, 10,000 return tickets, and 20,000 insurance subsidy for a total of 210,000/year pre-tax, or about $30.000 pre-tax). The average tax rate is 10%.
- The applicants must submit the following:
- Academic curriculum vitae;
- Electronic version of doctoral thesis;
- Two recommendation letters from experts in the field;
- Two papers representing the academic capacity of the applicants;
- Scanned copy of PhD certificate;
- Certificate of foreign languages and other supporting documents, if necessary.
- A proposal for a teaching and academic research plan (1 to 3 pages).
- All documents should be sent to Dr. Teng Li (firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, with copy to firstname.lastname@example.org). Please indicate “World History + Your Name” in the email subject line.
- Applications may be submitted from now on. We will reply within one month of receiving the application, and an interview will be discussed and arranged at the earliest possible time.