Full time starting salary is normally in the range £40,792 to £48,677, with potential progression once in post to £54,765 a year
Fixed term, 12 months
The Department of Modern Languages at the University of Birmingham is seeking to make a teaching-focused appointment at Lecturer level. The Lecturer will contribute to the Department’s renewed vision for the future of Modern Languages as it is studied in the University.
The appointee will contribute to teaching and development of curricula at all degree programme levels, including core and specialist modules on the MA in English-Chinese Interpreting with Translation and may contribute to language teaching of Chinese as a modern foreign language. The successful candidate will be an excellent teacher holding or close to completing a PhD or equivalent qualification in a relevant academic area. The successful candidate will be responsible for leading on delivery of the MA in English-Chinese Interpreting with Translation.
The post holder will:
- Contribute to leading curriculum development and/or renewal in line with the future direction of the Department;
- Develop and manage approaches to teaching and learning that are innovative to the subject area;
- Advise others on aspects of learning, teaching and assessment;
- Deliver (where appropriate to the discipline) specific professional programmes;
- Advance the practice of teaching in their modules and within the school, and play an important role in student academic support;
- Inform their teaching practice by discipline based research;
- Frequently update their own subject expertise, and undertake personal professional development in teaching, including self-reflection on own teaching, using student and peer review feedback, to enhance own teaching and learning processes
Learning and Teaching
- Use a variety of methods in teaching and advising individuals and groups of undergraduates and postgraduates
- Where appropriate, to design and deliver new, engaging and innovative UG and PG teaching
- Teach and examine modules at all levels (UG and PGT), including language teaching and teaching in the target language
- Teach and examine modules at all levels in translation studies, including where required methods and theory of translation
- Contribute to the administration/management of teaching across the Department/School including leading on delivery of the MA in English-Chinese Interpreting with Translation
- Lead and manage a team to devise and implement a new and/or revised process (e.g. new programme & recruitment)
The post holder will have:
- A higher Degree relevant to the discipline area (usually PhD) or equivalent qualifications.
- Extensive research/teaching experience and scholarship within subject specialism.
- Proven ability to devise, advise on and manage learning.
- Skills in managing, motivating & mentoring others successfully at all levels.
- The ability to design, deliver, assess and revise teaching programmes.
- Extensive experience and demonstrated success in developing appropriate approaches to learning and teaching and advising colleagues
- Experience and achievement in knowledge transfer, enterprise and similar activity that enhances the student experience or employability
- The ability to contribute to School/Departmental management processes
- The ability to assess and organise resources effectivelyee careers page for full job description)
For further information about these posts please contact Professor Andrew Ginger, The University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date:2 June 2019
To apply visit www.bham.ac.uk/jobs or call 0121 415 9000.
Valuing excellence; sustaining investment