|Location:||Dubai - United Arab Emirates|
|Placed On:||24th March 2021|
|Closes:||22nd April 2021|
Birmingham International Academy
University of Birmingham, Dubai campus
Location: Dubai, UAE
Closing date: 22 April 2021
Summary of Role
The post holder will be expected to teach English for Academic Purposes across a range of programmes or modules including Presessional English, Foundation EAP modules and Academic English in-sessional courses.
The post holder will be expected to teach on average 18 hours per week (with reduction being given for administrative, managerial or other duties as directed and agreed) and conduct 1 to 1 tutorials. The post holder will be expected to teach for 39 weeks per year. S/he will teach across all programmes but may predominantly be attached to a specific programme for materials development or managerial purposes (specialist duties may include assessment development, teacher development, VLE development, quality systems and audits).
The post holder will also undertake other teaching-related activities and any other relevant duties, as laid down by the BIA Operations and Development Director /Programme Managers.
· A Masters in a TEFL-related area and a CELTA or
· A diploma in English teaching/ PGCE with substantial TEFL component, or diploma-level qualifications as defined in section 4.2 of the British Council’s Accreditation UK handbook https://www.britishcouncil.org/sites/default/files/k062_uk_accreditation_handbook_2019_final_v2.pdf (pp.34-36)
· Substantial experience and expertise in delivering EAP/ESAP at a UK Higher Education institution to UG and PG international students from a diverse range of backgrounds and an excellent teaching record
· A sound knowledge and understanding of pedagogic and academic issues in teaching EAP/ESP
· Experience of teaching English for Specific Academic Purposes (e.g. to students of Engineering, Law, etc).
· In-depth knowledge and understanding of the UK higher education system
· Excellent classroom performance
· Ability to design and deliver module materials and assessments successfully.
· Confidence and skills in using technology to deliver teaching online
· Clear and effective written and oral presentation skills.
· Experience of safeguarding the welfare of students.
· The ability to form professional working relationships with all students, including under 18s and vulnerable adults.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and collegiality.
· Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes.
· Knowledge of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010, and how to actively ensure in day to day activity in own area that those with protected characteristics are treated equally and fairly
In return, you will receive a competitive package and be a key part of an expanding and ambitious University as we develop our international reputation and global footprint.
This is a full-time post, based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
The University of Birmingham is an Athena Swan Bronze award holder and committed to providing a supportive work environment for our staff and providing equal opportunities in our recruitment process.
Further details relating to this position as well as our developing Dubai Campus can be found at http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/dubai/work-with-us/index.aspx
For informal enquiries, please contact Gareth Mainwaring, Director of Operations and Development - email email@example.com (Birmingham) and Professor David Sadler, Provost (Dubai campus) - email firstname.lastname@example.org (Dubai)
Type / Role: