Birmingham Business School
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Starting salary is normally in the range £20,488 to £21,868. With potential progression once in post to £26,603 a year.
You will join a professional services team which is passionate about providing an excellent administration support for students and staff. Duties may vary between teams, but you will have the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of the administrative work supporting the delivery of our taught and research programmes for students. This will include providing timely and accurate administrative support for some or all of the following activities: student recruitment and admissions, welcome activities, induction, timetabling, attendance monitoring, examinations, student progression, placements and graduation etc.
You will be able to develop a wide range of skills, both technical and administrative, and may also have the opportunity to lead on specific tasks within the team
Brief outline of Main duties
- Act as the first point of contact providing relevant and timely information to students, staff and external providers, answering queries promptly and handling any issues from initial contact to resolution. This will include recognising when queries need to be referred elsewhere.
- Provide administrative support for a wide range of activities in delivering the annual cycle of teaching and learning outlined in the role summary above; for example recording student attendance information or seeking draft exam papers from academic staff for approval.
- Regularly communicate relevant information to students, staff and external providers.
- Provide administrative support for event planning and delivery which enhances the curriculum and student experience.
- Use a variety of complex University systems and processes to collate, manipulate and interpret sets of data, and produce routine reports.
- Contribute to the annual programme/module review and evaluation processes.
- Contribute to periodic reviews of administrative processes and procedures with the objective of making improvements and sharing best practice across other areas within the wider University.
- Provide a professional secretarial service to relevant committees and meetings where required.
- Supports equality and values diversity, moderating own behaviour to avoid unfair discriminatory impact or bias on others.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
You will need to evidence:
- Some professional experience in similar roles; and
- GCSEs to a minimum of grade C in English and Mathematics (or equivalent qualifications).
You will be:
- Comfortable in a role where you take responsibility for specific tasks, where you can carry out duties without needing to refer to others, and where you have some scope for choice and using your own judgment.
- Comfortable with working largely on your own initiative, although supervision is available.
- Encouraged to contribute to improving processes and to propose new ways of working.
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively with others, and delegate straightforward duties where appropriate.
- Well organised with the ability to prioritise work proactively, independently and as part of a team.
To download the details of this position and submit an electronic application online please click on the Apply Online button below, please quote the appropriate Job Ref 14941 in all enquiries, alternatively information can be obtained from http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/staff/jobs/index.aspx
Valuing excellence; sustaining investment
We value your feedback on the quality of our adverts.
If you have a comment to make about the overall quality of this advert,
or its categorisation then please