Deputy Dean, Director of Education, Research and Development Institute (ERDI) (IME)
Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – Entrepreneur College (Taicang)
SCHOOL OF Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem OVERVIEW:
The School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem is one of the seven industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang). Each School consists of an Education, Research and Development Institute (ERDI) for teaching and research collaboration, a one-stop School Office providing professional services to support student administration and activities, members of staff, and industry partners, and an affiliated School Joint-Venture Company jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s partner for industry-embedded teaching, learning, practical, and other activities. The governance of the School is through a School Council. The Dean of School oversees the School Management Team as well as contributing to the leadership of the Taicang campus
The School’s Education, Research and Development Institute (ERDI) is comprised of the Deputy Dean as Director, Programme Director(s), academic and research members of staff.
The School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem was jointly developed by as the University and an industry partner – Haier, to deliver industry-themed programme(s). The first degree programme that the School has launched for the Academic Year 2019/2020 is BEng Intelligent Manufacturing Engineering with Contemporary Entrepreneurship.
Industry Partner Overview:
The founding partner working in collaboration with XJTLU to co-develop the School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem is Haier Group.
Haier Group is a leading global provider of better-life solutions. In the process of continuous entrepreneurial innovation, Haier has transformed from a traditional manufacturing enterprise into a win-win IoT community ecology, leading global companies to take the lead in detonating the Internet of Things economy. More information please see http://www.haier.net/en/.
Responsibilities and Duties:
The Deputy Dean, who heads the school’s Education, Research and Development Institute – ERDI as Director, is a member of the School Management Team (SMT). The School Management Team is led by the Dean of School and comprised of the Director of ERDI, the CEO of School JV Company, and the School Manager.
The main duties of this position include:
- Work collaboratively with the Dean of School to:
- Lead the design, development, implementation, and ongoing monitoring of the School’s teaching and learning, research, industry partnerships, engagement, and innovation strategies.
- Lead and manage the School’s business engagement initiatives with a view to building an extensive portfolio of potential industry collaborative partnerships (alongside the School’s Business Development Manager).
- Promote, manage and contribute to the delivery of an effective programme of continuous development for academic members of staff to ensure they are equipped and supported to deliver high quality teaching and student experience, excel in their research, and contribute effectively to the School, College, and University.
- Create, nurture, and support a healthy research environment, with agreed annual research outcomes and expectations (alongside the College’s Research Engagement Manager).
- Manage investment funds which have been agreed by the Dean of School, Associate Principal, Principal or XJTLU’s Associate Vice President Research, for Research and Innovation
- Drive an emphasis on impact-creation through sustainable and unique value proposition in improving the School’s funded quality research and innovation and/or knowledge exchange activities (alongside the College’s Research Engagement Manager).
- Identify and implement strategies to maximise grant capture and research income, from both external funding bodies and business/industry (alongside the School’s Business Development Manager).
- Lead the development of School and organisational strategy by providing expertise and perform horizon scanning for the development of new opportunities at home and abroad.
- Lead the University and College initiatives such as liaising with industrial partnerships, mentoring and supporting early career academics, and undertake reasonable administrative responsibilities.
- Work collaboratively with Programme Director(s), academic members of staff, and School Office to:
- Promote, manage and contribute to the delivery and development of appropriate undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes to the required standards expected by the ministry, university academic regulatory framework, and where necessary, appropriate professional, statutory and regulatory bodies.
- Promote best practice in relation to innovative assessment design across the School, ensuring efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of appropriate assessment and feedback to meet the needs of all stakeholders.
- Ensure that the school and curriculum design delivers an inclusive, enriching, and enabling learning experience, as evidenced through student satisfaction, personal development and positive degree outcomes, and to work with industry partners to achieve this.
- Lead the continuous development and improvement of the VLE and technology-enhanced teaching to enable and support academic staff’s engagement in approaches that promote student-led learning and supports student success.
- Work collaboratively with relevant School(s), College and University entities to identify opportunities for meaningful and genuine partnership and successful impact-creation for research.
- Maintain a sustained a record of successful PhD supervision.
- Demonstrate evidence of good, sustained, and successful leadership of research grants and consultancy contracts.
- Conduct high-quality research, evidenced by publications in leading journals.
- Create, develop and manage successful research partnerships with academic institutions, industry and external organisations.
- Support innovative cross-disciplinary research and become an ambassador for the School for the promotion of cross-boundary research and teaching activities.
- Engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches; understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative mindset in line with College ethos.
- Deliver high-quality teaching to undergraduate and graduate students, as evidenced for example by peers, students and external examiners.
- Supervise undergraduate students and postgraduate students.
- Represent and deputise for the Dean of School where necessary, within the College, University and externally as appropriate.
- Any other appropriate tasks assigned by the University SMT, School Council or Taicang Leadership Team through the Dean of School.
The School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem adopts a new higher education model based upon the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE). SE is a new model developed by the University to address an increasingly networked and complex future of work in the 4th Industrial Revolution. The model is core to the University’s strategy for its next ten-year development focusing on innovation and entrepreneurship. SE aims to train syntegrative leaders with Management skills, International perspective, Discipline-specific knowledge, and adaptability in Industry (MIDI).
This role will attract academic leaders embodying Syntegrative Education (SE) values and are passionate in engaging in a future-focused co-learning ecosystem comprising students, academics, practitioners, university, industry, and community. The Deputy Dean(Director, ERDI) is a leader who thrives by creating impact through managing, nurturing, and enabling authentic engagement, cross-boundary collaboration, collective learning and discovery programmes and activities. The postholder adopts a systems mindset, understands transdisciplinarity and complexity, uses his/her knowledge, skills, and experiences to deliver success and create impact for the School, College and University.
- Candidates must hold a doctoral (normally PhD) degree in mechanical, manufacturing, advanced/intelligent manufacturing, mechatronics, electrical and electronics, controls, materials, or robotics engineering; industrial/engineering management, internet of things, artificial intelligence, data science and analytics from a world-renowned university, or able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement to a similar level.
- Clear understanding of the philosophy and concept of Syntegrative Education (SE) and demonstrable past teaching/industry/leadership experiences or practices aligned with Syntegrative Education (SE).
- Candidates shall become familiar with and observe China and United Kingdom’s rules, regulations, and expectations of higher education.
- Candidates shall have outstanding leadership and management experience, and ability to motivate and inspire teams with excellent people skills.
- Candidates must have a national, regional or international reputation and demonstrate impacts in any of the research and innovation fields relevant to the School.
- Candidates are expected to have a good sense of emergences, disruptions, national directives, technology trends and relevant research experience on industrial projects. Candidates should have the experience to cooperate with industrial partners to develop R&D projects.
- Candidates must have rich experience in teaching, research, academic leadership, innovation and entrepreneurship, strategic planning and financial management in a university and/or business environment.
- Excellent networking skills and an ability to build and nurture external contacts and partnerships, working with business other organisations in the area of innovation and business support to the benefit of the school.
- Excellent organisational, implementation and monitoring skills to deliver successful outcomes.
- Candidates must demonstrate a good track record of engagement with students and industry.
- Candidates must have a high level of communicative competence in English; an equivalent knowledge of Chinese would be an advantage.
- Candidates with administration and management experience in international universities or Sino-foreign joint universities would be an advantage.
- Some experience of working in a relevant industry would be an advantage.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
Please submit your applications online. Please click the above 'Apply' button to access.
Applications must be submitted in a PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- An extended cover letter consisting of
- point-by-point address of your qualifications and suitability for the role using the selection criteria above
- your vision for the school in the short, medium and long term (maximum one A4 page)
- A comprehensive and up-to-date CV that should also indicate your country/countries of citizenship, current location and country of residence, and highest education level
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer)
For further information and an informal discussion, please contact Professor Eng Hwa Yap, Dean of School by email at EngHwa.Yap@xjtlu.edu.cn
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the Human Resource Office through HR Business Partner, Ms Yiting Xu at Yiting.Xu@xjtlu.edu.cn
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.