We are a small, friendly diagnostic laboratory, and place a strong emphasis on client care and service quality. We are UKAS-accredited to the ISO/IEC 17025:2017 standard, and provide diagnostic services in clinical pathology, microbiology and molecular biology. Our laboratory is staffed by highly trained and experienced biomedical scientists, two veterinary clinical pathologists, an Internal Medicine Specialist, and an ECVM Diplomate. Our clients are predominantly first opinion companion animal clinics, and the workload is interesting and varied.
We are continually developing our diagnostic service; our new Molecular Biology service started last summer, and we are introducing a new LIMS system early this summer.
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Veterinary Biomedical Scientist (Molecular Biology) to join our Lab Services team on a Full Time permanent contract, based in our Lab in Watford, Hertfordshire.
You will be responsible for the daily delivery of the molecular diagnostic service, and will develop and expand the current test offering.
In summary, your responsibilities will be to
- Deliver a molecular diagnostic service in veterinary infectious disease
- Optimise and validate new assays to detect a range of veterinary relevant targets
- Ensure procedures and systems are fit for the efficient running of a commercial diagnostic service
- Work with the Quality Management Team towards UKAS accreditation for this new service
- Oversee the maintenance and calibration of equipment
- Oversee stock control and ordering
- Recognise and troubleshoot problems as they arise
- Assist with staff training and supervision as required
- Comply with laboratory health and safety regulations
Skills and Experience
Skills and Experience:
- Idealy a minimum of 3 years relevant postgraduate experience, including experience working in a diagnostic laboratory
- Demonstrable postgraduate competency in a variety of molecular biology techniques including nucleic acid extraction, amplification- duplex and multiplex assays, analysis, sequencing, assay optimisation and validation
- Experience handling a varierty of clinical specimens including swabs, blood, faeces, tissue
- Experience operating laboratory information management systems
- Experience working within a quality management system
- Strong organisational skills, ability to prioritise tasks
- Ability to work co-operatively in a team environment
- Experience in the day to day supervision and training of technical staff
- Experience working with the AB7500 would be an advantage.
- A BSc or equivalent undergraduate degree in a relevant biological science subject
- Trained in routine techniques in molecular biology
- Knowledge of infectious agents of clinical significance
- Working knowledge of laboratory health and safety procedures
- Working knowledge of MS Office, particularly Excel.