Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham UK
Full time starting salary is normally in the range £51,799 to £60,022, with potential progression once in post to £78,265
Please note dependant on experience, we are prepared to offer up to £69,556 as a starting salary
The post holder will be a member of the senior management team in External Relations, and the role will require close liaison and relationship building with all External Relations functions, and across wider University divisions to ensure work is aligned, planned at a strategic level and maximises the use of resource. The role will also require working closely with thematic Pro-Vice-Chancellors, Heads of Colleges, Senior Officers, and members of University Executive Board.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role holder are as outlined below:
- Support the Deputy Director of External Relations (Reputation and Engagement) in developing and delivering communications and reputation strategies and Key Performance Targets and Indicators that contribute to the University’s wider Strategic Framework
Leadership and Management:
- Provide strategic leadership on all areas of communications, campaigns, public affairs, stakeholder engagement, crisis communications, internal communications, corporate and Vice-Chancellor-led events, digital content and brand, and role model and embed the External Relations values and behaviours
Communications and Crisis Management:
- Lead on managing the reputation of the University including crisis communications, working closely with and advising the senior leadership of the University on incidents and reputational issues.
- Deliver a proactive and effective 24/7 media relations function geared appropriately to raise our profile in the region, nationally and internationally
- Develop a sector-leading brand and campaign function and provide leadership to ensure that the University brand is protected, utilised and leveraged in a consistent way to enhance the reputation of the University. As part of this work closely with the in-house agency, Creative Media, to ensure that their work continues to reinforce the University’s brand.
- Demonstrate the External Relations Values and Behaviours and ensure that the Communications and Reputation team has a culture of innovation, delivery and high-performance.
- Play an active role in the External Relations senior leadership ground (ER SLG) contributing to delivery of the External Relations Five-year strategy and monitoring and evaluating progress against agreed KPIs and milestones. As part of this contributing to the leadership of External Relations beyond core Communications and Reputation activity.
- Experience of operating at a senior level, preferably in a global context
- Ability to develop and deliver a vision for Communications and Reputation across the University through thought leadership and a partnership approach.
Skills and Experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, preferably with an additional professional or postgraduate qualification.
- Senior leadership experience in a marketing or communications role and significant experience of developing strategies and integrated marketing and communications plans
- Experience of engaging with policy makers and other senior stakeholders
- Aptitude to shape strategic direction and develop and implement operational plans in order to deliver the University’s objectives
For further details on the role and working for the University of Birmingham please view the full Particulars Pack here.
Provisional interview dates:
- First stage: 7 December 2021
- Second stage: 15 December 2021
For informal enquiries about this role please contact Louise O’Keeffe, External Relations Administrative Officer, at L.OKeeffe@bham.ac.uk
We value your feedback on the quality of our adverts.
If you have a comment to make about the overall quality of this advert,
or its categorisation then please