Start date will be January 2022
Reporting to: Principal/CEO
Location: Central London
The Head of Operations is responsible for directing and developing the Academy’s operations and administration in order to support delivery of the Academy’s objectives. This involves the strategic and pro-active management of people, resources and infrastructure and the development of administrative and business functions of the Academy.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategic Development and Planning
- Contributing to the development of Academy’s strategy, in particular in relation to administration, operations, marketing, and student recruitment.
- Ensure appropriate targets are set at all levels in your area of responsibility, and that management information is used to inform decision making and report against key performance indicators.
- Carry out critical analysis of relevant data and management information to inform decision making process.
- Promoting and advancing partnerships and collaborative working at strategic level within the Academy, between academic and professional services staff, and group wide shared services.
- Contributing to the planning process, working in partnership with internal stakeholders and developing an understanding of external environment of the Academy, their impact upon the Academy strategy, and identifying practical solutions to these challenges.
Operational Management and Services
- Leading the design, development and embedding of all operational processes and procedures including those intended to enhance student recruitment, continuation and completion rates, and those intended to enhance staff performance and development.
- Overseeing the supervision of staff internal procedures and controls, problem resolution and employee monthly audit checks.
- Systematically analysing staff workload and performance data, in the context of national trends and any Academy-specific educational objectives, taking appropriate action to ensure targets and KPIs are met.
- Leading on the interface with Group central services, ensuring smooth collaborative relationships and complementary services that are embedded, efficient and focused on attaining key outcomes for the Academy and Group.
- Leading on timetabling, space utilisation and efficient use of all resources.
- Representing the Academy on Committees, Working Parties and Groups, as required.
- Undergoing any training and development relevant to the satisfactory performance of the job as well as supporting the training of those reporting to the post, as required.
- Overseeing all Health and Safety activities and ensuring all regulatory compliance is met.
- Ensuring compliance with local and international laws (e.g. GDPR), act as the DPO of the organisation.
- Overseeing the implementation of technology solutions at the Academy.
- Managing contracts and relations with customers, vendors, partners and other stakeholders.
- Ensuring that facilities meet Government regulations and environmental, health and security standards.
- Overseeing building projects, renovations or refurbishments.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned (Safeguarding, Prevent).
- Developing budgets and financial plans for the Academy based on agreed strategy and constantly reviewing and interpreting financial and operation information.
- Assisting the CEO and members of the senior management team in presenting reports to stakeholders and board members.
- Overseeing expenses and budgeting to help the organisation optimise costs and benefits and effectively deploy its financial resources.
- Identifying areas where additional financial resources are required to address the changing FE and HE environment and recognise changing
Risk and Project Management
- Understanding risks/issues within the Academy, developing and maintaining an effective system of risk management for the Academy, including a risk register and actions to reduce and mitigate risk.
- Managing and contributing to the projects – from project design to delivery, working in collaboration as required.
- Lead and, working with department leads, enhance all aspects of the student journey including marketing, application processes, the student experience, employability/work placements and student outcomes and destinations, and building the alumni.
- Drive a positive culture of high aspirations, continuous improvement, and student focus
- Enhance the reach of HE at the Academy, lead on widening participation actions and take responsibility for leading and reporting on implementing actions set out in the Access and Participation Plan (APP)
- Lead on celebration of success events for Academy students
- To take reasonable care of your own health, safety, and welfare and that of any other person who may be affected by your actions or omissions whilst at work.
- To be responsible for your own continuous professional development ensuring that your skills, knowledge, and professional practice are current and future focused and that you stay abreast of key policy changes
- To demonstrate high levels of professional practice, provide advice and guidance and work collaboratively with the team and employees from other areas of the Academy
- To fully participate in Committee and Board Meetings, professional development, events, discussions, and any other activities commensurate with the duties and responsibilities of this post.
- To identify and develop innovative ways of working to increase efficiency and effectiveness of the area.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties within the overall function, commensurate with the grading and level of responsibility of the role
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Essential = E; Desirable = D
- Educated to degree level. E
- Evidence of continuing professional development. E
- Postgraduate Degree/Professional Qualification in Management/Education. D
- Ability to develop and prepare comprehensive financial/business analyses. E
- Knowledge of budget preparation, cost estimating, monitoring, and financial management principles and procedures. E
- Familiarity with all business functions including HR, Finance, IT systems. E
- Good knowledge and understanding of staff development, well-being and performance management strategies, business practices and procedures. E
- Understanding of funding methodologies and budget building and control. E
- Effective communication and influencing skills, including the ability to liaise at a senior level and develop and maintain e ffective partnerships with a range of stakeholders. E
- Ability to manage complex relationships to achieve successful outcomes for learners. E
- Commitment to delivering a quality provision in a range of environments and achieving performance and service improvements. E
- Work flexibly to fulfil the requirements of the role. E
- Significant experience of Project Management, Finance, Operations and Facilities areas. E
- Substantial experience of successfully embedding and managing operations in an educational environment. E
- Experience of dealing successfully with quality assurance and accreditation bodies. E
- Evidence of effective performance management of staff and resources, including developing and leading high- performing teams. E
- Experience in the leadership, management and delivery of education and training provision to learners. E
- Experience of successfully implementing staff appraisal and observation of teaching to support and enhance staff performance. D
The above duties will inevitably change as the work of the Academy develops. The post-holder should therefore expect periodic variations to this job description. This job description may also be supplemented on a regular basis by individual objectives derived from Academy strategies.
The post involves commitment to working outside the normal Academy hours and a willingness to work flexibly is expected. There will be an occasional need to undertake business travel between other business sites within London and across the UK.
The post holder will be expected to work closely with Group central services and personnel.
There is an expectation that all employees will maintain the values of the Academy and will comply with the code of conduct as well as equality and diversity, health and safety and safeguarding policies.