The International School for Government (ISfG) is designed to equip policymakers and civil servants from across the globe to meet the challenges of the future, creating leaders capable of delivering the services that citizens expect today. Through education, research and public engagement, the School focuses on the most pressing policy problems, ensuring that policy professionals are prepared with both the hard and soft skills necessary to understand how power, influence and change move through political circles.
The role requires an experienced individual who understands the contribution of continuing professional development and executive education for public servants. The candidate will have knowledge of the policy sector in the UK, and preferably internationally. The postholder will have an excellent teaching record in the field of public policy, the ability to develop innovative teaching content and delivery methods. Experience of online content delivery and development is desirable.
This role will present exciting opportunities to work with a small and collaborative team and together support a growing portfolio of online and executive education offerings.
This post will be offered on a full-time, indefinite contract.
- Development and delivery of online modules, including preparation of content for learning activities, discussion board facilitation and online tutorials to the timelines agreed
- Providing teaching support and management for online students and helping them meet the learning objectives of the course
- General administrative responsibilities related to the course including to monitor student participation and module evaluations
- Effective handling of student enquiries including responding to student enquiries
- Grading all formative and summative assessments within timescales specified by the programme
- Preparing feedback on formative and summative assessments to support learning
- Finalising all module grades in line with specified timescales after the module end for the Programme Assessment Board
- Moderating and participating in online discussion boards
- Conducting live webinars
- To remain appraised of course content and associated literature, and ensure that quality assurance processes and timescales for delivery are met
- Support casual Teaching Fellows as directed by Programme Management
- Attend Exam Boards and course meetings as required
- Engaging in professional development as appropriate
- Other duties as appropriate including on campus teaching
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- PhD in relevant area
- Fellowships of HEA (or working towards)
- Demonstration of experience in developing creative teaching methods
- Evidence of outstanding research capacity, including experience of development and delivery of research projects and collaborative funding bids
- Experience of planning, developing and delivering teaching at post-graduate level
- Understanding of distance learning and online teaching delivery
- Skills in moderating discussion boards and ability to assess and provide effective feedback on summative and formative assignments
- Demonstration of appropriate subject knowledge enabling teaching provision in more than one module
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience of managing and delivering projects to agreed timelines
- Ability to organise, plan and prioritise own workload
- Ability to understand, and interest in, the needs of working professionals
- Engagement in professional organisations (conference papers, workshops, memberships)
- Experience with educating students from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Excellent IT skills including knowledge of course creation and delivery on Moodle or similar VLE