About this opportunity
AI@Cam is a flagship mission to drive a step-change in Cambridge’s AI capabilities. We will harness the ideas, creativity, and research excellence of the University community to develop AI for the benefit of science, citizens, and society. To bring this vision to life, we’re looking for a Head of Operations to provide management support to the Director on a wide range of general operations within the AI@Cam Mission.
What we are looking for
AI@Cam is establishing a small team to coordinate our core work and collaborations across the University and externally
- Lead business planning: You’ll play a key role in strategic planning by developing investment proposals and business cases that support continuing and scaling of the Mission’s operations. You’ll be able to plan work, executive against this plan, troubleshoot issues as they arise, ensure key stakeholders are engaged, and tackle any risks to delivery.
- Spin-up priority programmes: You’ll work with the Director to scope new projects and set up effective teams to deliver this work, including agreeing the operational parameters and building an effective working culture. You’ll be able to critically assess whether projects are on track, and take action to ensure alignment with strategic vision.
- Embed effective governance: You’ll help establish the Mission as a new entity in the University landscape, taking into account the needs of different governing bodies. You’ll provide line management of staff and contractors to ensure effective service delivery, aligned to operational and strategic plans.
- Deliver high-quality customer services: You’ll establish new ways of working that embed high-quality customer services across our work, shaping the culture and operations of a new administrative hub.
- Create effective core Mission functions: You’ll work to develop our communications, programme management, and administration functions, ensuring that the Mission works effectively to build a vibrant community of research and practice.
- Experience leading impactful projects in complex stakeholder environments, ensuring quality work is delivered on time and to budget. You’ll have the ability to lead complex initiatives in multi-stakeholder environments to deliver on strategic priorities.
- Excellent planning, organisation, time and workload management skills, with proven ability to prioritise demands and deadlines.
- Excellent project management skills, with experience of solving operational problems using innovative and flexible thinking.
- Experience of business planning and operations management, delivering high-quality programmes and initiatives.
- The ability to manage the performance of direct line staff and work across teams with dotted line responsibility.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to liaise and communicate at all levels across the organisation using tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
What we offer
The role is offered on a permanent basis, subject to funding continuation.
We are happy to consider flexible working arrangements, subject to such hours and days as are reasonably necessary for the proper performance of your duties. Regular attendance onsite in Cambridge will be necessary. Your times of work should be agreed between you and your manager. Working pattern is Monday to Friday
We are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments individuals may require in the recruitment process, on commencement, or once in post.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.