Department of Politics and International Relations
The Department wishes to appoint two new Lecturers in Politics and/or International Relations. The new appointments will undertake research of the highest international standards, enhance and complement the research standing and culture of the Department, and contribute to the University’s commitment to the public good. The individuals appointed will also play a full part in course design, teaching, research supervision, and administration in the Department. We will consider applications from outstanding candidates with a proven track record of research and teaching in any area of Politics and/or International Relations.
These posts provide an exciting opportunity to join a vibrant, friendly, and ambitious department, one of the largest Politics departments in the UK. The posts are available from 1 January 2024, on an open contract.
The successful candidate will be expected
- To develop research objectives, projects and proposals and carry out individual or collaborative research projects
- To lead on and/or contribute to the production of research outputs and research outcomes.
- To design, develop and deliver teaching across a wide range of modules and/or within a particular programme or subject area
- To undertake effectively a range of administrative and managerial responsibilities
Skills, Experience & Qualification needed
- PhD in relevant subject area
- Appropriate academic professional and teaching qualifications or a willingness to complete the Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice
- Specialist knowledge in subject area
- Knowledge of a range of research techniques and methodologies
- Knowledge of a range of teaching techniques to enthuse and engage students
- Has research expertise in an area that will complement and enhance the department’s research strategy and goals
- Ability to develop research objectives, projects and proposals
- Well-developed analytical skills
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills, including ability to write and/or contribute to publications and/or to disseminate research findings using other appropriate media
- Ability to deliver presentations at conferences or exhibit work at other appropriate events internally and externally
- Ability to extend, transform, and apply knowledge from scholarship
- Ability to design teaching material and deliver either across a range of modules or within a subject area
- Ability to supervise the work of others, for example in research teams or projects or as an MSc PhD or postdoctoral supervisor
- Proven ability to contribute to high quality research which is publicly evidenced
- Experience of taking responsibility for teaching and learning at undergraduate and ideally postgraduate level
- Evidence of successful course planning, design and delivery across a range of modules, with exemplification of teaching materials
- Evidence of dissemination of research findings which may include: the presentation of papers at conferences and workshops; participation in public engagement events to disseminate research; the publishing of chapters in text books; the publishing of papers; articles or reviews in academic journals or elsewhere; the construction of websites
Interview date: TBC
For informal enquiries: please contact Professor Tony Heron (email@example.com), Head of Department.
The University strives to be diverse and inclusive – a place where we can ALL be ourselves.
We particularly encourage applications from people who identify as Black, Asian or from a Minority Ethnic background, who are underrepresented at the University.
We offer family friendly, flexible working arrangements, with forums and inclusive facilities to support our staff. #EqualityatYork