Duration: Fixed term: 10 (9 July – 18 Sept 2020), 6 (6 August – 18 Sept 2020) and 4 (7 August – 4 Sept 2020) week courses.
We are looking to recruit suitably qualified and experienced Teaching Fellows on fixed term contracts for our 10, 6 and 4-week Pre-sessional English courses for summer 2020.
The post holder will undertake the role of English for Academic Purposes Class Teacher or Language Support Teacher on one of our Pre-sessional English programmes – EAP Undergraduate and Foundation (UG), EAP Postgraduate (PG), Business Management in English (BME) and Academic Skills for Unconditional Students (UNC) – for a fixed-period of time over the summer.
- Attend and participate in the 3-day (4-day for new staff) induction at the start of the course and participate in and assist with the timetabled activities during student induction week.
- Complete basic obligatory training (Safeguarding, Prevent, GDPR and Diversity training).
- Teach courses of up to 23 contact hours per week including tutorials to students preparing for undergraduate or postgraduate study over a range of courses through seminars and lectures and provide pastoral care and academic advice in a prompt and effective manner.
- Plan and prepare own teaching supplementing the established course materials where necessary, taking responsibility for the monitoring of students’ academic learning outcomes, tracking progress and benchmarking achievement against set targets
- Supervise student projects, particularly students’ take home essays and generally assist students to improve their academic communications skills, develop relevant study skills and habits and adapt to their new environments socially and academically.
Language Support Teachers
- Provide 1:1/small group support to students identified as requiring extra help
- Offer workshops on areas of EAP skills for larger groups
- Develop an approach to planning and reviewing own teaching through the Presessional Continuous Professional Development (CPD) programme.
- Undertake full range of responsibilities in relation to supervision, marking and examining of all summative assessment, as well as to any progress checks, presentations and homework implemented during the course.
- A Masters in a TEFL-related area and a CELTA
- A diploma in English teaching/ PGCE with substantial TEFL component, or diploma-level qualifications as defined in section 4.2 of the British Council’s Accreditation UK handbook https://www.britishcouncil.org/sites/default/files/accreditation_uk_handbook_interim_2018.pdf (pp.45-47)
- Substantial experience and expertise in delivering EAP/ESAP at a UK Higher Education institution to UG and PG international students from a diverse range of backgrounds and an excellent teaching record
- For Support Teachers roles, a first degree plus a CELTA
- Relevant teaching experience, ideally in EAP at tertiary level.
For informal inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 7 August 2020 Reference: 95588
To download the full job description and details of this position and submit an electronic application online please click on the Apply Online button below or visit https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/staff/jobs/index.aspx Please quote Job Ref 95588 in all enquiries.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity at The University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community’
We value your feedback on the quality of our adverts.
If you have a comment to make about the overall quality of this advert,
or its categorisation then please