This is a new role, based in the Faculty of Social Sciences that will support partnership building across research development, knowledge exchange and research impact within York’s social sciences portfolio. Line managed by the Faculty Research Impact Manager, you will work closely with the Faculty leadership team to generate a step-change in our approach to external partnership working. You will also work with the Research, Innovation and Knowledge Exchange (RI&KE) directorate (specifically the commercialisation, KTP, CPD, training and policy teams) to ensure a seamless connection between Faculty strategy and York’s Building Industry Engagement and Income (BIEI) programme. This role is available on a full-time, open contract.
You will provide strategic and operational support to the Faculty leadership team in the support of new and existing partnerships, in line with both York’s ESRC Impact Acceleration Account (IAA) business plan (2023-2028) and institutional commitments outlined in our institutional strategy ‘A University for Public Good’. This will encompass a wide variety of thematic areas, including but not limited to: environmental sustainability, local economic development, health and social care and crime and vulnerability.
You will also:
- Work with existing teams to develop skills training and capacity building programmes.
- Facilitate dialogue between researchers and a wide range of research users across the private, public and third sectors.
- Act as the primary point of contact for existing and potential collaborators and clients.
- Work with colleagues at departmental, faculty and university levels to help encourage a deeper culture change towards more effective industry engagement.
- Support the Faculty leadership team, and the internal funding team, in the day-to-day management of the ESRC IAA.
- Work alongside the RI&KE directorate to scope new opportunities for business engagement, commercialisation and ‘impact at scale’ for the social sciences.
- Assist the Social Sciences Research Communications Manager, and central communications team, to promote the University’s relevant research strengths to external audiences.
Skills, Experience & Qualification needed
Required skills and qualities include:
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent professional experience).
- Experience of working with external organisations to facilitate partnerships and build connections, within a higher education or similar context.
- Experience of managing client relationships and project budgets.
- Experience of delivering presentations, training sessions and bespoke project support to a variety of audiences.
- Knowledge and understanding of social sciences research, research impact and knowledge exchange in a higher education environment.
- Knowledge of key issues around university engagement with external organisations (e.g. business engagement, policy engagement, research commercialisation, etc) within a higher education context.
- An understanding of the different models and methodologies used in collaboration and partnership building between universities and external research users.
- The ability to lead projects and gather, analyse, interpret and report complex data/information.
- The ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written formats, including the use of a variety of digital tools.
- An approach that actively champions respect, inclusivity, equality and diversity, as well as identifying and implementing continuous improvement.
Interview date: 10 May 2023
For informal enquiries: please contact Dr Chris Hewson, Faculty Research Manager (Social Sciences) - email@example.com.