An exciting opportunity has arisen to lead on the overall operational management of I-X, driving the development and delivery of the initiative’s business plan, coordinating between research, education, industrial engagement and communication activities, and managing the initiative’s resources (staff and financial). The Head of Operations will play a pivotal role in ensuring that I-X’s activities and resources are coordinated and managed in an effective and productive way, aligning these with the overall strategy and objectives. They will identify, define and manage specific projects and initiatives of strategic importance.
I-X is a major new strategic College initiative and there is huge potential in this role to create and build on the groundwork that has already been put into place. Key projects for 2023 include leading on the £3m college refurb of I-X’s office, labs and teaching space at the I-Hub building, and onboarding the second cohort of I-X lecturers, ensuring a smooth integration into I-X and departmental responsibilities.
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead on the creation of an I-X Business Plan and ensure prioritisation and coherence of objectives and budgets across all areas of activity
- Identify and develop short, medium and long term strategic objectives and priorities
- With the Chair and Co-Directors, and senior College leadership, determine and implement strategy and policy to meet the aims and objectives of I-X and College
- Monitor business plan delivery, including co-ordinating updates from others for management boards and internal and external review processes
- Managing I-X’s resources to best support its strategic goals and in line with College procedures
- Collect, maintain and analyse relevant data and management information to inform the Chair and Co-Directors of the impact of internal and external issues on the financial and operational strategy of the initiative as appropriate
Human resources / staff management
- Develop and maintain an appropriate I-X faculty staffing structure
- Manage and develop I-X’s operations team, ensuring the successful delivery of all services
- Manage and coordinate I-X’s HR policies and procedures, including the recruitment and selection of staff, appraisal and promotion in line with College policy and procedures
- Be the I-X lead for the ongoing refurbishment of level 6 of the I-Hub to include offices, labs and teaching spaces that meet the initiative’s objectives
- Lead on the space provision on level 5 including occupancy, improvements, community engagement and integration into the wider White City community
- Educated to degree level or equivalent or equivalent experience in similar or related roles
- Previous experience in the higher education sector in a similar or related position(s) or substantial relevant experience in another sector, demonstrating development through involvement in a series of progressively demanding work roles
- Experience of line managing professional staff to deliver excellent service
- Experience of working with and influencing senior staff
- Experience in developing and managing financial and other resources including preparing, managing and monitoring budgets and the preparation and analysis of management reports to inform financial and strategic decision-making
This is a full time, open-ended position based at White City Campus.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact:
Alex Gibbs (Imperial-X Operations Manager) email@example.com and
Eileen Boyce (Eric and Wendy Schmidt AI in Science Centre Manager) firstname.lastname@example.org.